Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

OT - Looking for a new Laptop, any suggestions.

Looking to buy a new laptop, what price range should I look at? I do not pay any games or games on-line.

Comments

• HallcoHallco Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just bought a Gateway from Tigerdirect.com this morning!! They have some good deals, you may want to check them out! image
  • MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    I've had good luck with Tigerdirect in the past as well.

• YogiBerraFanYogiBerraFan Posts: 2,390 ✭✭
    I bought a MAC about 6 years ago. I will never use a PC again. No blue screens, shutdowns, errors, viruses, etc. I am one happy camper!
  • PM Sent
  • SouthsiderSouthsider Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭
    If you're looking for something basic, I bought my mother a refurbished Dell Latitude D610 direct from Dell's Ebay store for ~$175 shipped. I upped the RAM a bit from 512 MB to 2 GB for another couple bucks from newegg, and she's been using it 1+ years without any problems. She doesn't do much other than email, web browsing and saving/viewing pictures, but it's been perfect for her.

• << <i>If you're looking for something basic, I bought my mother a refurbished Dell Latitude D610 direct from Dell's Ebay store for ~$175 shipped. I upped the RAM a bit from 512 MB to 2 GB for another couple bucks from newegg, and she's been using it 1+ years without any problems. She doesn't do much other than email, web browsing and saving/viewing pictures, but it's been perfect for her. >>

I have four D610 laptops, all bought refurbished off-lease from Dell's refurbishment department, ebay ID dell_financial_services. They're great. They don't have the D610 anymore. Last I checked, they were selling mostly D620 and D630 models. If you need a bigger screen, go for the D820 or D830.

If you order from a private seller, you can usually get a much bigger hard drive and some other better specs.
  • twileytwiley Posts: 1,923
    I am not saying buy from TD but...

I also have had many good experiences with Tigerdirect.com.

I bought my TV from them 8 months ago when they had a killer sale on TVs. I also bought my laptop from them about a year ago. Also back in 2006 I was buying HDDs from them.

(knocking on wood as I type this)
    I never had a problem and everything was always shipped well protected and in a timely manner.
  • storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭

Either of these should fix you right up.

OK

More OK

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,949 ✭✭✭✭
    Dude, get a Dell.

I love my Dell Studio 17.
  • twileytwiley Posts: 1,923
    It really depends on what you plan to do on the notebook? I use mine for music, video capturing, scanning, web browsing, and ebay.

I bought a laptop and modified it.

I bought a laptop that came with an awesome processor, Motherboard, and sound card. It was cheaper I think because it had crappy RAM, HDD, and junk DVD/CDR drive.

I replaced the RAM from 1 GB to 4 GB. The HDD I replaced with this one (when it was on sale).

Link

and the DVD/CDR drive I replaced with a much better one. The laptop is awesome and wicked fast. I couldn't be happier.

All together the laptop cost me $600ish including my 3 major upgrades. I did save some coin by installing the upgrades myself vs. paying someone to do it.
  • scmavlscmavl Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭
    I'm Mac as well and will never, ever go back to a PC. My PC at work drives me crazy with its slowness and freeze ups.
    2.5 is pretty much my speed.