Home Sports Talk
Options

Football HOFer?

So, how are defensive backs rated in regards to HOF status? My favorite defensive player is not in the HOF yet and I am curious on others opinions if he makes it.

So based on yearly averages, I compared two players statistically. Subjectively they were both big hitters and team leaders on defense.

Averages throughout career: Player 1 / Player 2
Games played 13.7 / 15.1
Sacks .6 / .4
INT 4.5 / 2.2
Tackles 79.5 / 97.6
Pro Bowls total 10 / 8
All-Pro Teams 9 / 6
`

Comments

• Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    Mr At-water seems to be a logical selection for the HOF. The defensive back part is the problem. Look at how many db's have gone in over the past 25 years. Specifically, look at how many safeties are in. There you see the problem. At-water was clearly one of the top safeties of his generation. If he were a running back with the same credentials, he would have been a first ballot HOFer. But, as a safety, he is sadly forgotten. Hopefully, he won't have to wait until he is 70 like Chris Hanburger to get in.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.