Home Sports Talk

Ray Guy bankrupt; selling Super Bowl rings

RipkenRipken Posts: 559 ✭✭✭
Another former NFL star having financial problems. All three of Ray Guy's rings are being sold at auction.

Comments

• Very sad to here. Why Guy is not in the HOF is beyond me.
    A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore.
    Yogi Berra

• YogiBerraFanYogiBerraFan Posts: 2,390 ✭✭
    I feel very bad for him. A player should never have to sell things like that.
  • ...if you can't pay your bills and your a person of integrity, then you do what you have to do to make things right.

If the judge has ordered him to sell the rings, then he was probably dragging his feet on it. Cough 'em up, Ray.

Sure, it sucks. But so does filing bankruptcy.
    South of Heaven...North of Canada
  • IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭✭
    maybe Al Davis will have replacements made for him

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭✭
    I actually think the Hall of Fame voters are being nasty to him. He did not play the most glamorous position; but is regarded by many as the best of his entire era. That's HOF....I don't need to see stats. What's the problem?
  • You know that Ray Guy was born the same day as the Bee-Gee twins.
  • That's sad. Imagine what else you've had to sell to get to those rings (cars, boats, jewelry?). Its sad to see sports stars sell such one of a kind collectibles.
  • DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    Just maybe Ray Guy is in bankruptcy because the NFL HOF has "robbed" him from induction. It just amazes me that he is not a HOFer.
    "A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
  • jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭
    Good point....induction into the HOF adds tremendously to the value of autographs and many collect just hof.
    So that alone has cost Ray.

As a raider fan I have felt for years his exclusion into the hall has been a travesty.

What I can't believe is present day overpaid premadona are nor coming to his rescue.

Everyone claims they play for the RING...well ...........buy them and give them back or something.
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭
    very sad

i agree how is he not in the HOF??? he changed/effected games as much as others already in, and is the GOAT (Greatest of all time) punter
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭
    I don't find it "sad." It's just life. He made a good living in his chosen career but apparently not enough to continue living that same lifestyle forever. I guess he should have either 1) chosen a better post football career and/or 2) spent less money and lived within his means!?
  • rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Just maybe Ray Guy is in bankruptcy because the NFL HOF has "robbed" him from induction. It just amazes me that he is not a HOFer. >>

I always considered him the best Punter ever. I heard Peter King talk on the subject (since he is a voter). He discussed why he never voted for Guy, he thinks that Jerrell Wilson was just as good or almost as good, same with Reggie Roby. He did not think that Ray Guy was clearly better. If I remember correctly he thinks Lechler now is better than Guy then.
    Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think you can say that he's broke because of a lavish lifestyle. Pro football players back in the 70s in general made much less per season than players do today, and a punter, even one as great as Ray Guy, made even less than that. It's easy to say that he should have spent less money or became a lawyer or gotten a better job, but hard luck befalls everyone differently. The NFL does not do enough to assist its veteran players after retirement, and though I've never seen any scientific study done on this topic, I'd venture to say that former pro football players have a tougher life after football than athletes in any other major professional sport, both physically and financially. Sad story all around.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,582 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buddy Ryan once said (paraphrase) that a punter is a defense's best friend...and he was right.

My standards for Hall admission are tough, but I agree Ray Guy should be in there...but of course many out there look at a punter as being no better than the tallest midget in the circus...and perhaps even not really a football player. However If ya truly understand the game of football, especially on the NFL level, ya know how valuable a great punter can be, and how a lousy punter can kill ya.
    He did pretty much change the way the position was perceived in the NFl and deserves to be in the HOF, IMO. Back then, defensive players had more leeway in rushing the punter, too. Now, it's much easier to kick with full extension as punters know even the slightest contact is going to cost the other team 15 yards and possession of the ball.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭

<< <i> I guess he should have either 1) chosen a better post football career and/or 2) spent less money and lived within his means!? >>

Do we even know if those are a reason? Is it possible he lived within his means and some shyster mismanaged his accounts?

Good for you.
  • DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    I thought these numbers were pretty interesting.

Ray Guy was the first and only punter ever to be selected in the first round in the NFL Draft as of 2010. Ray Guy retired in 1986. During his career, Guy:

Played in 207 consecutive games
    Punted 1,049 times for 44,493 yards, averaging 42.4 yards per punt, with a 33.8 net yards average
    Had 210 punts inside the 20 yard line (not counting his first 3 seasons, when the NFL did not keep track of this stat), with just 128 touchbacks
    Led the NFL in punting three times
    Had a streak of 619 consecutive punts before having one blocked
    Has a record of 111 career punts in post season games
    Had five punts of over 60 yards during the 1981 season
    Never had a punt returned for a touchdown
    Ray Guy was selected to seven AFC Pro Bowl teams, and in 1994, he was named the punter on the National Football League's 75th Anniversary Team.

"A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
  • larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭
    Do we even know if those are a reason? Is it possible he lived within his means and some shyster mismanaged his accounts?

or 3) not tried to hit a home run with his investments like just about all retired athletes do which increases chances of being taken by a shyster.
  • rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Never had a punt returned for a touchdown
    . >>

that is the most amazing stat that you listed.
    Looking for FB HOF Rookies

or 3) not tried to hit a home run with his investments like just about all retired athletes do which increases chances of being taken by a shyster.

Were you his accountant? How do you know what happened? Sounds like you're really just speculating without any facts at all.

• ga5150ga5150 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭
    They sold for $96,216 and were sold all as one lot.