Home Precious Metals
Options

forum member not heard from

piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
forum member contacts me about an $400+ item. I want to sell 2 of the item as a Lot, but will break the Lot up if they will pay $2.50 more because that's one more shipping fee I will incur breaking it up the way I'd prefer to sell it/them. Forum member has not replied back after a few days. Thinking about he extra $2.50 on a $400+ item? Really? image Any of you ever scratch your head over a similar instance when you were the one initially contacted?
To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like member asked you a question nad you answered; I'd say he moved on. Some people buy, some don't. If he was responding to a BST listing then you initiated the discussion by offering something for sale.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like that 0.5% or so translated into a no sale.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Courtesy dictates at least a "No, thank you" response to close the loop. Not fair to keep the seller waiting for a response.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Watch...if the item in question makes a price jump this week the potential buyer will be starting a bashing thread saying that POM failed to live up to their part of the bargain
    and failed to get back to them. If price falls, well alrighty then...no harm no foul. lol.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    greghansengreghansen Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭
    I can easily believe the extra $2.50 caused a 'no sale' and I don't fault the buyer for that. Just as easy for him to complain that seller wouldn't absorb $2.50 on a $400 deal. Buyer should have sent a polite email terminating the deal IMO since the 'ball was in his court'. I think that is the professional way to end negotiations via PM or email that do not bear fruit.

Greg Hansen, Melbourne, FL Click here for any current EBAY auctions Multiple "Circle of Trust" transactions over 14 years on forum

• Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    tire kicker
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Courtesy dictates at least a "No, thank you" response to close the loop. Not fair to keep the seller waiting for a response. >>

I agree.

There should be a courtesy response either way.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I can easily believe the extra $2.50 caused a 'no sale' and I don't fault the buyer for that. Just as easy for him to complain that seller wouldn't absorb $2.50 on a $400 deal. Buyer should have sent a polite email terminating the deal IMO since the 'ball was in his court'. I think that is the professional way to end negotiations via PM or email that do not bear fruit. >>

Agree on all points.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Courtesy dictates at least a "No, thank you" response to close the loop. Not fair to keep the seller waiting for a response. >>

I agree.

There should be a courtesy response either way. >>

and with the others. i think putting a time frame to respond back in a PM even when there is an intital contact by the other person is appropriate, especially if it's a bullion type item.

like "okay I'd do this for that and please get back to me in 36 hours or I'll assume the deal is off."

i think 24 hours is reasonable, too but i'll push it out to 36.

also i know you broke it up and added $2.50 for your time and effort, which is fine, and like Mark said it's miniscule

that does work BOTH ways, though.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a forum member disappear for three days or so. I was expecting a "I got the package"
    PM but silence, until this A.M.
    Seems he and his wife had their first child and coins were not on his mind!!!

Gotta go with the flow as things do come up once in a while (like every 9 months or so)!

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    An inquiry on a BST item is not the same as "I'll take it, please hold it for me."

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    I have done the "valid for 72 hours" and "until the markets open Sunday night" and it seems to work well. No assumptioms.
  • Options
    Also need to consider the item. A day or two lag on a coin is one thing. Bullion is completely different.
  • Options
    Courtesy dictates at least a "No, thank you" response to close the loop. Not fair to keep the seller waiting for a response

that's all I wanted.

A day or two lag on a coin is one thing. Bullion is completely different.

that's all I wanted.

A simple no thanks, or go ahead and move on, or can you please hold it for me over the weekend would've been nice. Buyer has now responded and offer is still good to him eventhough I had the opportunity to sell both over the weekend as a Lot as I clearly stated in the thread.
  • Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭✭
    While I agree that a "No thank you" is what the buyer should have done, he was only inquiring about breaking up the lot. He didn't say something like, "I'll take it if you pay for the shipping" or something similar. Since he promised nothing, I don't think a response is necessary, but it would be nice.
    > [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&amp;_in_kw=1&amp;_ex_kw=&amp;_sacat=0&amp;_udlo=&amp;_udhi=&amp;_ftrt=901&amp;_ftrv=1&amp;_sabdlo=&amp;_sabdhi=&amp;_samilow=&amp;_samihi=&amp;_sadis=15&amp;_stpos=61611&amp;_sargn=-1&saslc=1&amp;_salic=1&amp;_fss=1&amp;_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&amp;_saslop=1&amp;_sasl=mygirlsthree3&amp;_sop=12&amp;_dmd=1&amp;_ipg=50&amp;_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Ahh the joys of retail. image

When I was starting my business I tried to figure that stuff out. No mo.
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Ahh the joys of retail. image

When I was starting my business I tried to figure that stuff out. No mo. >>

People dont care, you are a dealer--not a humanimage-----------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    bstat1020bstat1020 Posts: 2,151 ✭✭
    The other side of the story....

I am the buyer people. I sent Rich a PM Friday afternoon and stated " I will take the poured if you are willing to split them up." He responded Friday night stating ok, but I have to add $2.50 for extra shipping or whatever. I responded before 7am this morning and then I saw this surprising thread.

Now, I have two daughters at home and we went camping all weekend. I am sorry I did not repsond to you in a super fast manner because it was the weekend, and my daughters come first. Again my apologies. That is the way it is.

I do think that your expections of a response in the middle of summer on a weekend is a little demanding. I also think that posting Sunday night, was a little over reactive.

Again, my first PM I said that I will take the bar, and that is what I am doing. If you dont want to sell it to me then don't.

More patience would help everyone every once in a while.
  • Options
    Again, as Wingsrule said...A day or two lag on a coin is one thing. Bullion is completely different.

Brian has said that he still wants the bar, so ok, maybe I did overreact to some degree. Lesson learned for me to clearly state that the price/quantity is only good for a specific amount of time. Even with Ag falling a little today (it was higher friday), Brian is "honoring" his offer, so I think that is to be commended.
    In the end, it appears that it's going to work out and I have learned (yet another) lesson. My apologies if I caused a stir.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would trust Brian any time of the day....and starting a thread on something like this, on a weekend, is being too immature and impatient. Not everyone lives on the boards and folks need to start understanding that....also, to give a reply late on Friday and then start a thread on the weekend because of no response.....sheesh!

If it's that important, then CLEARLY STATE in your selling thread that you expect responses 24 hours a day and within 2 minutes of you responding.

Seems more than a few of these issues with a select group of PM "dealer-be"s.

Brian, you are handling it quite well. Kudos for you. I think many would have just turned away.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    Apparently you didn't read the post right above yours Bochi image but that's ok, I know you're just trollin'.
    Brian is free to do as he wishes...as am I. Like I said, I learned a lesson to be more specific, but my concern is that could possibly drive someone away.
    Saying,
    " this is the price and this is how long it is good for" on the first reply to an inquiry would come off as a little pushy imo, but I guess that's what it's come to.

How would you (anyone) feel if someone said that to you on their first reply to you asking about something? Is that just being informational in the interest of time or would you be a little put off by the forwardness of it?
  • Options
    percybpercyb Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭
    After you've been in sales for a while, you'll find this happens quite often. Don't take it personally.
    "Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Apparently you didn't read the post right above yours Bochi image but that's ok, I know you're just trollin'.
    Brian is free to do as he wishes...as am I. Like I said, I learned a lesson to be more specific, but my concern is that could possibly drive someone away.
    Saying,
    " this is the price and this is how long it is good for" on the first reply to an inquiry would come off as a little pushy imo, but I guess that's what it's come to.

How would you (anyone) feel if someone said that to you on their first reply to you asking about something? Is that just being informational in the interest of time or would you be a little put off by the forwardness of it? >>

Trolling? No. I did read it.
    You just have shown a penchant for jumping right away and starting threads complaining about things.
    Putting things into original posts in threads, on how long the price is good for, is not pushy and many of the BST sellers, who don't seem to have the problems you do, do that.

How would I feel? It's happened quite a bit. Some reply, some don't. Some buy. Some don't. I make sure I am polite and straight forward, and I don't take it personal because I know it isn't.
    I also don't start threads complaining about it. Maybe I would have when I was new to the boards and new to buying and/or selling, but after a few months, I think most folks learn and I think, for a board this size, most folks are mature enough and don't start the complaint threads on something so trivial.

If you are going to be a "dealer", of any size/type, then these things happen. Why whine to the whole board? You don't see the successful, and popular, guys doing that, do you? It's because they know enough to move on and to work with folks.

The above isn't an attack either...it's a statement. These boards aren't my life, and they aren't life or death, so I don't take the boards personal; not in responses nor in posts, but I am blunt about things. I learned a lot from these boards....lot of good folks, lot of knowledge. Most of the folks that have the big problems are those that take it personal and those that think everyone should do things their way, for them, and no other way allowed.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭
    This has been worked out...... let this tread sink to the bottom and move on.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!