Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Opinions on this Lemieux Card

Hi all,

Got some packs of 85 Topps Hockey super cheap. The top half of each pack would look good, and then the other half had a grayish tint to the card stock. Have any of you veteran hockey pack busters seen this? Was this common on that period of cards, or was the paper stock prone to this type of appearance?

If I were to submit, I'm assuming it would get some sort of qualifier right? Should I even bother submitting this for grading?

Rodney

Comments

• Options
    Is that a crease about 5/9ths down the card?
    Or is that the tint you are talking about?
  • Options
    ThoseBackPagesThoseBackPages Posts: 4,871 ✭✭
    ive seen it. i used to own two that looked like that. pulled them out of wax in 1985. Wish i still had 'em.

as far as grading, your copy is rough with the staining and the curve cut. id still get it slabbed if it were mine though, as you pulled it from a pack yourself, which is awesomeness imo
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    ga5150ga5150 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭
    It has the appearance of a crease in the scan, but it's not a crease. It's a faint white line that just runs horizontally all the way across. It's more like a print flaw and it's even harder to notice with card in hand. The scan brings it out nicely.

Rodney

<< <i>Is that a crease about 5/9ths down the card?
    Or is that the tint you are talking about? >>

• Options
    It's very interesting to see this in the 1985 Topps packs. I have been opening these packs from 1985 Topps and OPC for 10 years and never have seen it.Probably around 300 packs. The Lemieux rookie card will either be in the center of the pack with Gretzky or on the back of the pack with a nice stain on the back of his card. I would send it in just out of couriosity. It will probably grade a PSA 6. What did the gretzky card look like?
  • Options
    There was definitely no Gretzky. I even just flipped back through all the other cards to make sure, as I still have them sitting here on my desk. The Lemieux was the gum card, but has just a tiny bit of residue left on the back. I was more curious about the coloring of the card stock than the gum stain. There were lots of other cards that looked just like this one. About half the pack was perfect white, and the other half this grayish tinted color.

Rodney
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    If you're looking to sell you could take it to kinkos and have them trim it up nice for you -- then send it to PSA for the AUTHENTIC TRIMMED grade. May be the best way to maximize your money.

• Options
    I guess an authentic grade may look better than a low-mid grade with qualifiers. Or were you joking with that?? Only reason I'm not sure is the only authentic example in vcp is $67. A PSA3 is $20, and a 5 is $43. A PSA7 with qualifier is $31.

Rodney
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Does the back look normal?
  • Options
    Back looks perfectly fine except for the tiny amount of gum residue that is left since it was the gum card.