Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Buying Raw on Ebay

Hi

So I spend a few hours each week looking to carefully upgrade coins in my Lincoln Wheat Cent Collection. Ultimatly I'm looking for VF-XF for everything pre 1934 and BU for everything post 1934. During my continuous reserach, I feel like more often then not, raw coins advertised are over graded. So often I look at something that the buyer is grading XF and look at the coin and see that the Cheek/Jawbone is waaaay to worn to be considered XF, or the detail in the hair just isn't there. Is this all due to lousy scans/photos? I've purchased precious few coins through Ebay and have generally been happy with my choices but I'm finding it rather exhausting to dig through to find what is truely advertized. Also, what do you guys think is fair to pay for coins off of ebay? I generally use the PCGS pricing as the absolute max I'm willing to pay for something for my guide but have seen coins go for much more and for much less.

It is still very much a learning experience, I guess I'm just looking for advice. I know purchasing graded coins takes a lot of this worry away but then I've got to find a way to break the darn coin out of the holder without hurting it (I have a 1910s VF35 and a 1931s XF45 still in PCGS holders but would LOVE to have them in my dansco album instead...)

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Simple fact is I would never pay PCGS price guide for any coin on eBay unless it was a PCGS graded coin and most of the time not even then.
    "Ownership adds a grade" all to often true of any RAW coin being sold anywhere not just eBay.
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    Buy from the guys around here who have been around for a while, ask for refs. or just watch what people say, much more fun and you might make long-lasting friends who give you super deals!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    LotsoLuckLotsoLuck Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭
    What those guys said. There are threads here you can research for cracking out coins. And before any anti-ebayers (i'm trying not to be) chime in, you can still get good buys but I would be reluctant to purchase anything of "real" value raw on ebay.
  • Options
    And I'm really not trying to be anti ebay at all, I just feel like I'm constantly trying to be hosed... Hey this is a VF, it just has no reverse... this is definatly an XF blah blah blah. Anyway, I don't make major purchases, even with my small budget on ebay, those I leave to the B&M's in my neighborhood. At least there I can see something with my own two eyes and well, put things on layaway imageimage

Thanks for the feedback, I like the comment on owners upgrading their coins, I've really made an effort to look at my collection honestly and evaluate as such.

Cheers,

Ben

• Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭
    That's the business model some people follow. Buy VF coin at a VF price and sell for XF money. It works with newbies.

Avoid the sellers with bad photos on eBay - that is usually intentional. You have to look hard to find good coins and sellers you can trust - that's just the way it is.
  • Options
    WestySteveWestySteve Posts: 567 ✭✭✭
    Hmmm. Try this. Count on overgrading. Let's say you're looking for a coin in XF, then search for it in AU, then list the results in lowest to highest...sort for buy it now auctions only. Then see what grabs you.

Or, sort them by auctions ending soonest and put in an honest bid on those coins listed as AU that look XF and make your bid for XF money. Don't worry about sniping. If you lose, just do it again with another auction. Further, there's no reason you can't search for 10 different date/mintmarks at the same time and put in a lowball bid on all 10 with the idea that you'll probably only win one or to with a lowball bid.

FWIW, actual actions on ebay (vs. fixed price listings) seem to end at cheaper prices than they used to. Participation in auctions seems lower these days.
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think rather than ebay (yes I know its fun and you can do it at 2 AM)....I think rather than ebay you should be going to small coin shows and just sitting down at a table with the big dealer flip books, your loupe, your eyes and your checklist and wallet.

Youll get some of the best deals this way.....and wont get socked with all those idiotic shipping charges to send ONE PENNY to you.
  • Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ebay is like a giant coin shop, in that there are cleaned coins, overgraded coins and decent coins. The main difference is that the nice coins arn't up front on display, they are hidden back in the safe burried under all of the ugly and overgraded coins, and you have look throught a lot of coins to find the few decent ones. It helps to have knack for interpreting photos as well.
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭
    raw ebay is similar to raw sex.......fells great at the time but parts may fall off later.......image
  • Options
    SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭
    One can buy good coins on Ebay but as the OP has found it not easy to wade through the duds.
    VF-XF Lincolns are harder then many would think, nice original examples can be quite tough.
    I also think that grade level is a great collection to focus on.

I would suggest that a WTB post is far better here on the BST there are many reliable sellers that will help you build your sets. I have had very good results buying coins for my sets in that way. Many sellers sell for between retail and wholesale some will work with you as well if you are a regular buyer.

I have found far more good deals on the BST then on Ebay in recent times. The cool thing here is you can see what the person has posted and everyone is willing to provide references.image
  • Options
    coinandcurrency242coinandcurrency242 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭✭
    use caution! I just got scammed.... Never received my item! At least I got my money back imageimageimage....... Always have a way of protecting yourself image

Positive BST as a seller: Namvet69, Lordmarcovan, Bigjpst, Soldi, mustanggt, CoinHoader, moursund, SufinxHi, al410, JWP

• Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Ebay is like a giant coin shop, in that there are cleaned coins, overgraded coins and decent coins. The main difference is that the nice coins arn't up front on display, they are hidden back in the safe burried under all of the ugly and overgraded coins, and you have look throught a lot of coins to find the few decent ones. It helps to have knack for interpreting photos as well. >>

I agree completely. It takes a lot of time and effort to analyze the photos, ask for and get better photos and analyze the seller's history in some cases. Photoshop is a great tool for playing with the photos - you can adjust and play with many of the settings (brightness, contrast, shadows, white-black, color, etc.) to highlight or better expose any faults, hairlines, etc. It's not foolproof, but it is definitely helpful. The "scores" on Ebay are usually raw coins, but that is also where the most risk is. In the past year I've picked up raw an 1879 CC Morgan (PCGS MS61) for $350, a raw Pine Tree shilling (NGC VF20) for $2100 and an1890 CC PL Morgan for $170 that is currently on it's way across the street (got to use my coupon!). I've also sent back for refund several cleaned coins, but that is to be expected...
  • Options
    CertifiedGoldCoinsCertifiedGoldCoins Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭
    What you're buying on eBay is faith in a photograph.
    Good deals with: goldman86 mkman123 Wingsrule wondercoin segoja Tccuga OKCC LindeDad and others.

my early American coins & currency: -- http://yankeedoodlecoins.com/
  • Options
    questor54questor54 Posts: 1,351
    Don't buy raw coins on eBay.
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Don't buy raw coins on eBay. >>

I have bought at least 10,000 raw coins off of or through ebay. You absolutely get the best prices on ebay as a buyer.

Now with that said, you need to have done your homework

You need to know exactly WHAT you are buying.

Bad photos are wonderful as they usually give you a HUGE break in the price.

You need to figure out who you are buying from and what is their reputation, which is very easy with ebays feedback and star system.

You also need to go through hundreds of listings to find that cherry.

Ebay is the Best.
  • Options
    questor54questor54 Posts: 1,351

<< <i>

I have bought at least 10,000 raw coins off of or through ebay. You absolutely get the best prices on ebay as a buyer.

Now with that said, you need to have done your homework

You need to know exactly WHAT you are buying.

Bad photos are wonderful as they usually give you a HUGE break in the price.

You need to figure out who you are buying from and what is their reputation, which is very easy with ebays feedback and star system.

You also need to go through hundreds of listings to find that cherry.

Ebay is the Best. >>

Don't buy raw coins on eBay.
  • Options
    deviousdevious Posts: 1,690

Yes, please don't. Save yourself the risk. I agree 100%

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file