Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Never seen a slab quite like this one.

Has anyone ever seen this type of slab/flip? I never have. Not saying it is legit or not. Just curious as I have been keeping track of PSA's flip history (see my signature). Anyway here is the

Link

I know the seller. I have sold and bought Jeter cards with the seller. Good person. If it is fake the seller has no idea imo.

Opinions welcome on the slab.

Comments

• Options
    Does the serial # check out?

Have you asked the seller to provide a back scan? I remember someone posting some pictures that they took through acrylic or some case and it had PSA labels that looked like that. I'm assuming it is how the light hits it.
  • Options
    twileytwiley Posts: 1,923
    Cert checks out.

Cert Link

Maybe the slab is an old Pack slab? The 2000 Topps HD is semi thick. Mine isn't in a slab like the one in the auction.

Mine

The one on ebay
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wax pack case?
  • Options
    As crappy as I am feeling right now... Yay food poisoning... I had nothing better to do so I searched every thread and found where I saw them...
    edited to add the thread picture lol

I just remembered the sides looking the same who knows it may have no similarities I just see what I see

This is BOBS' case from his project it is borrowed off his thread!
  • Options
    huh? What does that case have to do with the slab in question? Hope you feel better... I can tell your not thinking to clearly image
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    Ive seen this before with no explanation. Somewhat recently, there was a 1956 Topps Moose Skowron in an extra large slab. It's no longer in the completed listings and I didnt save a pic of it. Wish I had now. If someone has VCP, the link is probably still available. I think it was a PSA 5 or PSA 6.
  • Options

<< <i>huh? What does that case have to do with the slab in question? Hope you feel better... I can tell your not thinking to clearly image >>

Honestly I thought it might have been the way the light reflected...

the third row down the first couple cards look like they have those semi-white borders because of the flash, so i figured this might just be a weird reflection of light of the scan

edited to add:
    Oh you are talking about the actual slab, I was looking at the label that is what I thought was in question

... Anyway I agree with handyman I think it is in a wax pack "holder" there was a discussion on this a week or 2 or 3 image ago, yank might be able to give you some insight...
  • Options

<< <i>Ive seen this before with no explanation. Somewhat recently, there was a 1956 Topps Moose Skowron in an extra large slab. It's no longer in the completed listings and I didnt save a pic of it. Wish I had now. If someone has VCP, the link is probably still available. I think it was a PSA 5 or PSA 6. >>

Well the flip is the most recent. So the flip is not old. It was printed somewhere from Feb 18, 2008 to present.

The slab I have no idea. I have not seen a slab like that. Even the Wax Pack slabs look different then the one here.

Here is a card put into a wax pack slab...

The slab looks similar but the inside tabs that would hold a wax pack in place look different.
  • Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    "Never seen a slab quite like this one."

Sounds like a song.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    I remember seeing a thread where a customer was upset PSA slabbed his regular sized cards in the larger cases.
  • Options
    Honestly twiley at this point I can't tell, but whoever/however the card ended up in that slab the top right, left and bottom left corners look far from mint status
  • Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070

<< <i>I remember seeing a thread where a customer was upset PSA slabbed his regular sized cards in the larger cases. >>

Might have been me. I sent in some eTopps cards...it seems they randomly chose to put some in slabs like the OP showed us in the link, and some in standard sized slabs.
  • Options
    OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭
    I believe they are pack slabs and for some reason they have been putting thick cards in them..
    it has been posted on the board previously with complaints
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    They have been using that slab for years, old timers called them condoms.

And unless they have a larger sized one now it was the same size as the standard slab.

Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>They have been using that slab for years, old timers called them condoms.

And unless they have a larger sized one now it was the same size as the standard slab. >>

Are you referring to the mylar sleeve inside the slab? That slab is clearly bigger than their standard card slab.