Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

How to submit the unidentified

Greetings, friends!
I could use a little guidance/advice from my fellow board members. I have a handful of vintage boxing cards (mainly overseas issues) that I haven't been able to identify. Most of them are for my Jack Dempsey player collection - and they aren't listed in the current set registry. So here's my dilemma - I'd like to have them graded, but I don't know if PSA grades them, and I wouldn't even know how to list them, because I can't identify the exact issue.

On a related note - is there a process for requesting that a previously ungraded issue get listed in the pop report?
Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
Jeff

Comments

• Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Adam Warshaw publishes the most complete boxing card price guide. He posts regularly on Net54, and would probably be willing to help you identify the cards (and if they're not currently in his price guide, he'd love to know more about them).

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    Awesome - thanks Nick!
    Jeff
  • Options
    Jeff
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    I bought a book about cards from overseas and it has helped me tremendously in identifying wrestling cards.....I could look some up although Adam might know by sight immediately. The book is from Murrays in IDing cigarette cards. Well worth it.
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    I do not know if it helps but sometimes I would photocopy the page in the book and send it with my card so there is no doubt to what set it belongs to. I'd give my book information because I know that is one of their references.
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    Thank you. I actually have Murray's latest book on tobacco cards, but mine doesn't have photos with each set - just values. I. Might have to look into the ID'ing book.
    Jeff
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Jeff

If you'll post pics I'll dig out Warshaws book and see if I can help. It might be tomorrow night as I'm not 100 percent sure where it's at

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    That would be a huge help, Mike! I'll try to scan them in tomorrow for ya. Thank you in advance.

Jeff
    Jeff
  • Options
    Okay - here's several of the cards that I haven't been able to identify:

1. Battling Siki - my French isn't so great - but this appears to be a French coffee card of some sort. I have never seen a card like this before.

2. Jack Dempsey - this appears to be a Spanish Chocolate card. And I'm guessing it's from the late 20's. This is the only one of these I've ever seen.

3. Joe Louis - this appears to be an Italian card. Again - I've never seen a card like this before.

4. Here are too black back cards. The Tunney is a strip card. These issues very so much that I wasn't sure which exact issue it is. The second (black back) card is of Jack Dempsey and it's just a little bit larger than a postage stamp. It appears to be French and I am especially interested to get some information on this one - as like the other cards (except for the Tunney) - I have never seen one before.

Thank you guys for any help or info you can supply on these.

Jeff
    Jeff