Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

An Oversight By The RCM ON Commemorative 1911 Dollar ??

I went out on a limb and got the new 2011 Commemorative 1911 Silver Dollar marking the centennial of this famous Canadian coin. The obverse uses the 1911 portrait of King George V but the reverse is not quite the same as the 1911 coin. On the 1911 coin the word "DOLLAR" is spelled out but on this coin the numerial "1" is used.
In 2001 there was a 90th commemorative Silver Dollar of this coin. While it had the current portrait of Queen Elizabeth the reverse was the same as 1911, the word "ONE" was spelled out.
In 1998 there was a special coin set to mark the 90th anniversary of the RCM. The obverse used the current portrait of Queen Elizabeth and the reverse the designs of 1908, duel dated 1908-1998. Not long after the first sets came out with an antique silver finish to them it was noticed the the 1 Cent coin lacked the word "CANADA". In 1908 "CANADA" was on the obverse of the 1 Cent coin while on the reverse of all the others. This was soon corrected by another set in Proof finish with "CANADA" on the obverse of the 1 Cent.
Is this another case of an oversight by the RCM or could it have been done deliberately ??

Comments

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And to add, their website is a pain with all the products they release in a single year. I wonder if they are striking a gold coin to recognise my 7 yr old daughters birthday?
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    It seems to me as if it was done purposely, but I'd be interested to see what the Canadian collectors think.

By the way, jarhead, nice avatar!