Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Any chance at a 10?

This is my best Concepcion (crackout). I think it looks great but it has come back 9 twice. Any ideas? Opinions? Thanks gents.

Comments

• Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    It has a shot
    If I have a card that I feel deserves the next grade up, I will sub 3 or 4 times before I give up (assuming the price difference justifies it)
  • Options
    ToroToro Posts: 1,515
    The top left looks soft. It has been graded accurately.
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    bottom right looks a tad lifted
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    I agree with the two prior responses. Looks like the top left and bottom right corners have touches to them. HOWEVER, I am going to say it's the pic, as I don't think the OP would be looking for a '10" if the corners were like this in person.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭
    It looks sharp under magnification. I think that is the scan. I do see a very slight tilt which may be the issue. It is really a sharp, glossy card.
  • Options
    It is really well-struck. One thing I learned from DGF is to look at the black in the pennant of 77s. If it is perfect, that's a big deal. Of course, this is assuming centering, etc. are all good.
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    if it is the scan, then the slight tilt might keep it out of a 10, gets smaller on the bottom left border
  • Options

<< <i>if it is the scan, then the slight tilt might keep it out of a 10, gets smaller on the bottom left border >>

I think you may be right. I just need a lenient grader. Like the GOL...Grader of Love. Ha.
  • Options
    jimradjimrad Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭
    I see no chance at a 10
    Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
    MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax
  • Options

<< <i>I see no chance at a 10 >>

What are the issues you see? Thanks!
  • Options

<< <i>

What are the issues you see? Thanks! >>

top right corner is a stand out
    Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
    MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

What are the issues you see? Thanks! >>

top right corner is a stand out >>

Sorry, but I am not familiar with what that means. Does it mean not cut evenly?
  • Options

• Options
    Thew corners are razor sharp. I think the scan makes it look otherwise. But, I appreciate your feedback.
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No offense but how do you think a card with any damage to a corner is a 10?

In the first scan the top left corner is clearly slightly impacted. In a raw review before submission I would give it an 8 based on the scan.

I would do back flips to get 9's on the cards I sub with this type of corner action.

Take the 9 and be happy.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really don't think you can judge corners like that from a scan. The tilt is what probably keeps it out of a 10 holder, IMO..

Edit to add: how is centering on back?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>I really don't think you can judge corners like that from a scan. The tilt is what probably keeps it out of a 10 holder, IMO..

Edit to add: how is centering on back? >>

Grote, nail meet head. The corners are good. I am a corner fanatic. Some guys love centering, I love corners. The back is good. I think the slight tilt is the difference maker. Interestingly, I bought a 77 SGC 98 Carew for over a $100 that seems perfect. 3 subs, 3 nines. The card seems perfect. I just can't predict.

Anyway, I appreciate all of your feedback. I wish every one of you great success.
  • Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Corners look soft, there's a tilt also.

How is the back?

You're probably looking at an 8 or 8.5 here. >>

We thinks thou dost protest too much.

• Options
    The card has already graded PSA 9 twice, and I don't see it grading any lower. The OP has stated that all 4 corners are razor sharp and I know he has submitted more than his fair share of 10s for this issue, so I think we can just assume that the corners are razor sharp as it is almost impossible to truly judge something like that from a scan. I'd say you have about a 10% chance at a 10, but if it comes back PSA 9 a third time, I'd call it a day and accept the 9.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    My guess is a 9 based on the same corner comments mentioned above.
    "A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
  • Options

<< <i>0% chance of a 10 because of the tilt. It's a nice card, but do you really think it deserves a 10 being tilted like that? image >>

No, I don't. But I would selfishly like to have it. Ha
  • Options
    twileytwiley Posts: 1,923
    Nice card. Not a 10 though. Maybe on a lucky day it will get that grade. Chances are you wont though...
  • Options
    The tilt on your card is no worse than this PSA 10 Schmidt card:

PSA 10 1974 Schmidt

Personally, I don't think your card will get a 10, but it is a solid 9, IMO..

• Options
    Actually, the general consensus is that cards in older flips are sometimes more conservatively graded, but grading in general is subjective and a psa 7 can turn into a psa 9 on any given day depending on the grader.

• Options
  • Options
    Thanks all. And thanks Grote,
    I know 77 All-stars, that's not saying much but I appreciate your support.
  • Options
    I am confused. It graded PSA 9 twice. What more do you want? At some point grades have to stand up and this card is not a 10. Move on.
  • Options

<< <i>I am confused. It graded PSA 9 twice. What more do you want? At some point grades have to stand up and this card is not a 10. Move on. >>

Thanks. I think you saved my collecting life! I am moving on thamks to your inspirational statement. Now, go back to being confused. I am sure you are more at ease there.
  • Options
    Let's all rally together and tell you that your card is under graded and you have a PSA 10!!!

Sorry...The PSA graders don't agree....

You are getting upset over nothing. Your card is not a 10. You have tried twice and don't waste your money on the third time.

It is real simple.

• Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    nice card however no.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    < Actually, the general consensus is that cards in older flips are sometimes more conservatively graded, but grading in general is subjective and a psa 7 can turn into a psa 9 on any given day depending on the grader. >>

Really? Thought it was the opposite.

Regardless, the cut on the OP card just seems way off ... if it's tilted or some other issue in the cut ... plus we haven't seen the back yet.

But hey, there's only one way to find out ... just don't be too upset if you get the old EOT on the third time

If it was EOT it would have been rejected already. Let's not forget that this card was actually held in hand by a PSA grader (as opposed to just evaluated by looking at pixels on a screen) on two separate occasions and was graded PSA 9. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't grade a PSA 9 again (unless you either a) get the grader of love or b) get the grader of death). I've seen cards with worse tilts in PSA 9 holders, even recently graded ones. This card may also have great gloss which we wouldn't be able to see from a scan, and surface and gloss are usually overlooked when it comes to grading, though they are very important, too.

Cards always look one grade higher when they are yours and one graded lower when they are not. That's human nature..

• Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Those are edges that only a mother could love... beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Be happy with a 9. image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Actually, the general consensus is that cards in older flips are sometimes more conservatively graded, but grading in general is subjective and a psa 7 can turn into a psa 9 on any given day depending on the grader. >>

Really? Thought it was the opposite. >>

I think there's confusion about this because grading is probably more stringent now than it was 10+ years ago.

However, people still pay a premium for some cards with old flips on the chance of getting a .5 bump.

So really, it can work both ways.