Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1941 DDO -- Three Different Coins -- Are all DDO?

fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
The Second image is an AU58 PCGS attributed coin. Are all three of these FS-101, two, or just one. I would like to see your opinions before I say what I think.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

Comments

• Options
    djdilliodondjdilliodon Posts: 1,938 ✭✭
    All 3 look identical to me?
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The first 2 look like DDOs, but the third is hard to tell from the image.
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The last one is not. The die polishing lines do not match, as best as I can tell. Also the curved lines inside the OD of GOD are pronounced in the center coin, but I don't see them in the third.

I don't see them in the first coin either, but it is too worn for me to make a call from a photograph.
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the first two are most likely the same. The third is much more difficult for me to tell. The 'U' and 'S' and possibly the 'T' look the same but in order to call it the DDO I would want more points of reference to compare. That's my 10 cents on the subject. Now hurry up and find me a MS67FB 1941 DDO. image
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The middle one is different from the other 2, which are the ones that match the CPG pic.

Edited to add that I think they are all DDO's, but only the first and last are the right ones for PCGS.
  • Options

<< <i>I think the first two are most likely the same. The third is much more difficult for me to tell. The 'U' and 'S' and possibly the 'T' look the same but in order to call it the DDO I would want more points of reference to compare. That's my 10 cents on the subject. Now hurry up and find me a MS67FB 1941 DDO. image >>

Greg,

All in due time. The pop on this coin is two. (It will be three when I send in my second [top image]). My White AU58 is the current top pop. This seems to be a very tough coin.

I guess I just answered the topic, too. The bottom coin is polishing lines -- not a DDO (at least from what I can see). There is still on odd chance that they were trying to polish of the error, becase the UST all look like the top two coins, but the other markers are ground off.

Tony

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    I'm in the same-same-different crowd image
    I think the top 2 are the same and last one is not.
    Ed
  • Options

<< <i>The middle one is different from the other 2, which are the ones that match the CPG pic.

Edited to add that I think they are all DDO's, but only the first and last are the right ones for PCGS. >>

Jon,

The center one is my PCGS AU58 attributed coin. In hand the top two seem to match better than 1 & 3. I think 3 is polish lines which are either hiding the DDO or mimicking the DDO. The top one will get sent in with my next gradings.

Tony

• Options

<< <i>I'm in the same-same-different crowd image
    I think the top 2 are the same and last one is not. >>

Bingo--

• Options
    Is it just me or is there a period between the "S" and "T" in TRUST on the 3rd coin???
  • Options

<< <i>Is it just me or is there a period between the "S" and "T" in TRUST??? >>

Jon,

Odd reflection. How does the one you have compare to the three images?

Tony

• Options
    After looking at mine under a light with a 16X glass......I don't think mine is a DDO. The only way RUST looks doubled is from the bottom. From top and sides nothing. There is doubling on 94 of the date.

I will bring it to ana for you to look at. Sure would be nice if it were the DDO. It's a ngc66FB and I think would cross.
  • Options
    Jon, Does it kind of resemble my third image?

• Options
    I really can't tell Tony, if it's lighting or reflection or what.

You will just have to see it.
  • Options
    Catch you in Chicago.

• Options
    frnklnlvrfrnklnlvr Posts: 2,750
    Based on the images, coin 1 & 2 look to be the same variety. I can't really say either way whether coin 3 is a match or not. Even if coin 3 doesn't have the die abrasion it could still be a different stage of the DDO.
  • Options

<< <i>Based on the images, coin 1 & 2 look to be the same variety. I can't really say either way whether coin 3 is a match or not. Even if coin 3 doesn't have the die abrasion it could still be a different stage of the DDO. >>

Based on your comments a couple more images of the third coin with a bit of different angle on the lighting.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file