Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Question about older cards and top loaders

Question for any of you that like to keep you raw cards in top loaders. For the older Topps and Bowman cards (52-56), do you put them in a penny sleeve and then in a regular top loader or do you need to use one of the top loaders they make for thicker cards? Since they feel thicker, I don't really want to try cramming one into a regular top loader if it could mess up the card and the opinion seems to be not to store cards long term in the card saver 1 holders. Any advice is appreciated. Thank-you,

Jim
Looking for 66 and 69 OPC baseball
60's OPC packs
72 BB, 60's FB, 71FB, 73FB, 74FB, 75FB, 76FB, 78FB Rack Packs
72 and earlier BB cello

Comments

• Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    If not the pages for 52-56 sized cards, I use CS1s (Card Saver 1) with no penny sleeve. I dont put my larger vintage in semirigids.
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    They make specific top loaders for vintage cards - they're a bit taller than the regular ones
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For my 1952 - 1956, I use just top loaders. For 1957 on up, I use penny sleeves then top loaders.
  • Options
    jswietonjswieton Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭
    I use the ultra pro extra thick penny sleaves and a CS1 for my oversized cards.
  • Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>For my 1952 - 1956, I use just top loaders. For 1957 on up, I use penny sleeves then top loaders. >>

Me too and haven't had one problem.
  • Options
    fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    same as above, no penny sleaves for the 1952-56, penny sleeves for everything else
  • Options
    cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257
    They make penny sleeves specifically for large vintage and they fit perfectly in the vintage top leaders. That is what I use.
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • Options
    MacrosBMacrosB Posts: 524 ✭✭✭

<< <i>They make penny sleeves specifically for large vintage and they fit perfectly in the vintage top leaders. That is what I use. >>

Where do you get those at. I have been geeting my storage items from Columbia and I did not notice a specific vintage penny sleeve or vintage top loaded called out.
    I do appreciate everyones advice on this. I do have my personal sets in plastic pages but trying to decide what to do with my duplicates. Currently they are just sitting in a card storage box with no other protection. I thougt i better do something about that. And for those that put their post 56 in penny sleeves but not the larger cards why do you think it is necessary for the newer cards but not the older. Is it to help the newer thin cards not slide out or is it just the fact with the extra thickness of the penny sleeves the older cards would not fit into the regular top loaders? Thank-you for your help,

Jim
    Looking for 66 and 69 OPC baseball
    60's OPC packs
    72 BB, 60's FB, 71FB, 73FB, 74FB, 75FB, 76FB, 78FB Rack Packs
    72 and earlier BB cello