Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1990 Reggie Jackson/Upper Deck invitation and Nolan Ryan press photo - Are these of any importance?

I went to a yard sale several months back and saw a bunch of sports memorabilia. After I made a comment about the amount of sports stuff he had for sale, he told me that he was one of the people who started Upper Deck. To me, who knows next to nothing about sports, I didn't think much of it. I decided to find something to buy and being the brilliant person I was, I went with quantity instead of quality and bought a gigantic box of consecutively numbered souvenir sheets from certain baseball games. Went home, looked at a couple and was disappointed that they weren't worth much.

Fast forward to this afternoon, I was cleaning out my shelves and took another look in the box of souvenir sheets and found this neat invitation from 1990 and press photo of Nolan Ryan. I thought that these were really neat, but were unable to find any information on them. I found it interesting that the invitation was celebrating "our successful first year" as I thought Upper Deck was started far before 1990. Some research indicates that Upper Deck was founded in 1988. The background information on the Ryan Nolan photo was provided on the back but I wasn't able to find out much about it.

My question is, are these of any importance? Are these worth keeping in my "cool stuff" shelf next to my Playboy in braille or is it something that I should just chuck along with the souvenir sheets?

Here are some photos:

Thank you for the information and opinions!
Ben
-Ben T. * Collector of Errors! * Proud member of the CUFYNA

Comments

• Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    UD as a company likely started even before 1988, but as far as actually making cards and selling packs, 1989 is the first year.

Not sure it they deserve a spot next to the braille playboy (hope it was embossed), but PC collectors would find them of interest no question, and I imagine you could get $5-10 from them.

The stadium sheets were really popular when they came out.

Clear Skies,
    Mark
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭
    The invitation isn't worth listing IMO, but there are some crazy Nolan Ryan fanatics who would be interested in adding that Promo Picture to their collection....

I'd list that (start @ $9.99) and let us know how it turns out.

Good Luck.

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.