Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A question for the experts... how could this happen?

ajmanajman Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭
I recently was looking at some of my "modern crap" specifically a 2007-W $50 burnished plat and noticed to my horror that there appears to be a tiny nick below the I and B in Liberty between the 3rd and 4rth ray on the obverse. Can anyone tell me how this sort of thing happens and more importantly how does it affect its value? Doesn't the mint take extraordinary measures when producing these "collector coins" and how does it make it out of quality control in the first place? Just venting really but any insight would be appreciated. And no I do not have any pictures as it is in the sdb but please give an opinion or any insight anyway. Thanks, Tony.
Beer is Proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy -Benjamin Franklin-

Comments

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just a guess, but perhaps it is a tiny strike thru?

We would need to see pictures to know.

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    Pictures please
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Have you ever worked in a factory environment? No one would ever notice a tiny nick.
    Becky
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And how long have you had it with that monstrous nick without noticing it?
    Anybody that was handling it for the mint or fulfillment center probably had it at their station for a lot less than a minute.
    Oh and there is a return period when they arrive, so many where being sent back at one time that they shortened it.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,438 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a contact mark where the coin came in contact with a hard object or another coin due to careless handling.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,561 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Sounds like a contact mark where the coin came in contact with a hard object or another coin due to careless handling. >>

Could be that, could be a strike thru. We cannot say without pictures.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file