Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Buyer or seller responsible for cards damaged in transit?

So who is the responsible party when a card arrives with a cracked slab? Should the seller refund the price and accept a refund? Or should the buyer be stuck with the cracked case?

Thanks.
Joel

Comments

• Options
    Return to seller for a refund, seller must deliver item in condition as it was sold.
  • Options

<< <i>So who is the responsible party when a card arrives with a cracked slab? Should the seller refund the price and accept a refund? Or should the buyer be stuck with the cracked case?

Thanks. >>

Sellers responsibility. the seller accepts a return and refunds the money upon receiving the cracked slab back.
    I have had this happen twice, luckily both times it was only a 10-18 dollar card, both times I had the buyer send me a picture or scan of the cracked slab & card. Both times I told the buyer to keep the card and refunded the full amount + shipping.

if it is an expensive card & not damaged, offer the seller a full refund and get the card back or offer the cost of having the card reslabbed and let the buyer send it to psa to get reslabbed.

The buyer will win every time if he opens a Ebay or paypal claim, SNAD or damaged item. jmho
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    Ive had it happen to me 3 times as a seller. Each time, I refunded after the person returned the card.
  • Options
    jwgatorsjwgators Posts: 460 ✭✭
    Thanks for the replies. It was only a $18 card, but the seller said he is not responsible. I will give him another chance to give me a refund and then open a claim if necessary.
    Joel
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    I love when sellers state they are not responsible for lost or damaged mail.

Little do they know....
  • Options
    In that same token, why would a buyer ever pay for insurance on an item? It is the seller's respOnsibility to get it to the buyer, so isn't it a seller's expense of doing business?
    Joel
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    sellers aren't allowed to charge for insurance
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    Insurance is absolutely for the seller because it is the seller who can collect the $$ if lost or damaged. It's the sellers responsibility to get that card to you safely and undamaged. Yeah, somethings you think things are packaged well enough and then it arrives damaged. It happens but its most certainly the sellers responsibility. And who does he think is responsible? The post office? They arent going to take responsibility, thats for sure. I think its one of the few businesses in America who doesnt have to be responsible unless you pay them extra to be. Even then...uggh nevermind haha... Anyway, if its the PO fault then its the sellers fault. Very clear cut.
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭

TOS

Even though it's not required, we recommend that you purchase shipping insurance or use a shipping service that offers loss and damage protection. You can add the cost of the insurance to the handling fee or item price.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    Why do people recommen insurance when doing group rips on the boards? Isn't this the same idea?
    Joel
  • Options

<< <i>Why do people recommen insurance when doing group rips on the boards? Isn't this the same idea? >>

In a private transaction - via contract - the buyer and seller
    can agree to any kind of deal they choose to. Unfortunately,
    with PayPal in the mix, such contracts are ALWAYS abrogated.

BST sellers that don't use insurance - paid for by whomever -
    while accepting PayPal, run the same risk that EBAY sellers do
    when they ship naked. The BST seller is obligated to deliver any
    offered item as advertised; failing to do so, will result in a
    decision in favor of the buyer in an INR-claim or a SNAD-claim
    in the case of a cracked slab.

Paying with a "gift" payment obviates all "buyer protection" in
    a PayPal transaction. The only claim that survives such payment
    is "unauthorized use;" hard to prove, if it ain't true.

In an INR claim where the DC shows the item was delivered, the
    buyer will lose an INR claim. BUT, if USPS insurance was purchased,
    the USPS will still accept for filing a "lost mail claim." Many such
    claims are paid; the USPS knows that DC is not "proof of much."
    That is the only circumstance in an EBAY/PayPal deal where the
    purchase of insurance benefits the buyer.

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    C. Postman
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    how was the slab packed?

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>how was the slab packed? >>

I'm guessing in a small sized bubble envelope, and the roller marks from the post office mail processing machine are evident on the envelope. It amazes me how many people are sending psa graded cards this way (what I would consider "big-time" sellers). I get at least one card a week like this, with the envelope punctured normally. Amazingly, most of the slabs survive. Most of them.
  • Options
    It had one layer of bubble wrap around the card. The envelope was an 8.5 x 11 bubble mailer. It seemed pretty beat up when I got it.
    Joel
  • Options
    Seller still claims it is not his problem. Is the appropriate action to open an item not as described claim?

Thanks for all the help.
    Joel
  • Options

Some sellers still stupid.

File a SNAD claim. EBAY is prolly faster than PP.

You can send a scan of the broken item, too;
    but you don't have to.

If the seller has written something like, "You can't
    return the item to me," EBAY may let you keep the
    item and give you a refund. Otherwise, you may
    have to return the item; use DC on the package.

• Options

<< <i>Seller still claims it is not his problem. Is the appropriate action to open an item not as described claim?

Thanks for all the help. >>

Yes, you should open the SNAD claim. Make sure to use DC when returning the package.
  • Options
    I had a transaction with a board member and out of like 125 slabs I think 9 were cracked or broken, refunded with easy.... I'm sorry I don't remember who it was but it was with a board member lol
  • Options
    If insurance is purchased, isn't an insurance claim the first route before a refund?
  • Options

<< <i>If insurance is purchased, isn't an insurance claim the first route before a refund? >>

The seller purchases insurance when he ships to protect HIS interest and he is the one who files the claim. So it works like this:
    1. Buyer returns the damaged card/slab to the seller (with delivery confirmation!)
    2. Seller refunds the buyer
    3. Seller takes the damaged card/slab to his post office with his insurance receipt and files a claim.
    "It's not so important who starts the game but who finishes it."
    - John Wooden
  • Options
    JMDVMJMDVM Posts: 950 ✭✭✭
    File a dispute. I think there is an option that covers shipping issues.Because of Ebay's rules, the seller is responsible. If he purchased insurance, he can file a claim with the USPS. That way the USPS gets left holding the bag. I insure everything I sell and include it in the shipping/handling. For those sellers who did not insure the item, they are out of luck.
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    PSA reslabs cards for $5 each....just make sure the card isn't damaged.
  • Options
    al032184al032184 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭
    When you send cards to PSA to be reslabbed you have to send seperate from grading orders and you have to pay the postage and insurance to/from PSA.
  • Options

<< <i>When you send cards to PSA to be reslabbed you have to send seperate from grading orders and you have to pay the postage and insurance to/from PSA. >>

They'll also review the card before putting it in a new slab, so it could come back with a different grade whether there's any apparent new damage or not. I wouldn't recommend this option unless the seller is paying for it.

File a SNAD claim, wait for them to decide in your favor and then ship the card back to the seller with DC. Once the item shows "delivered" on the usps website, you can call paypal and they'll usually refund you right away (I always call them because I don't like waiting around for the morons they have working for them to check the tracking status).
  • Options
    I personally think the buyer should have to pay for everything starting with:

1. storage fee, since the seller has to store the item for the length of the auction. something like $ 1-5 dollars a day.
    2. buyer should pay all Final value fees & listing fees
    3. buyer should pay all shipping + insurance, gas , part of my utility bill for keeping the item warm or cold.paper,ink computer & my beer.
    4. buyer should pay first & leave feedback first
    5. any damage to item , the buyer should have to file the claim with the post office.
    6. heck buyers shouldn't be allowed to leave nothing but positive feedback & 5 stars for the sellers.
    7. buyers should have to pay a 1.00 for each bid that they place on my items whether they win or not.
    8.everyone should paypal me (gift) at least 10.00 to 2000.00 dollars for having these ideas.

now start sending me some money.jmho image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>When you send cards to PSA to be reslabbed you have to send seperate from grading orders and you have to pay the postage and insurance to/from PSA. >>

They'll also review the card before putting it in a new slab, so it could come back with a different grade whether there's any apparent new damage or not. I wouldn't recommend this option unless the seller is paying for it.

File a SNAD claim, wait for them to decide in your favor and then ship the card back to the seller with DC. Once the item shows "delivered" on the usps website, you can call paypal and they'll usually refund you right away (I always call them because I don't like waiting around for the morons they have working for them to check the tracking status). >>

That's assuming the seller used USPS insurance. If they used the eBay alternative ShipCover insurance, the seller doesn't need to necessarily have the damaged item in hand ... the buyer need only corroborate the story. Obviously if one tries to abuse this system they'll get a timeout or something.

Since the seller is being so difficult then the SNAD claim is 100% the right thing to do. Sorry you had to deal with such an unprofessional seller but these people do exist and need to be avoided.

Once this whole thing is settled it would be useful if you could post the eBay user ID so we can all avoid and/or block it. >>

That's assuming the seller didn't use any insurance and is being uncooperative, which appears to be the case here.
  • Options
    I had an issue w/ a buyer with a card and I told the buyer to put in the insurance claim, which apparently is now possible via USPS online. They can get their money back this way too, right?
  • Options

<< <i>I had an issue w/ a buyer with a card and I told the buyer to put in the insurance claim, which apparently is now possible via USPS online. They can get their money back this way too, right? >>

Yeah, they should be able to get their money back from USPS as long as you insured it for the full amount. They're under no obligation to go that route, though, as safe delivery is the seller's resposibility.
  • Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    My take is this:

1) If the item was carefully well packaged for transit by the seller, the post office is responsible
    for any and all extraneous damage to the item due to rough handling above what's usual and customary.

2) If the item (say a PSA card) was just thrown into a padded mailer without any extra
    protection for the item, the seller is 100% responsible for the damage and should
    offer the buyer a full refund.

This type of lame packaging is unfortunately the way many, many sellers operate
    on ebay. My estimate is 75% of sellers simply put a PSA card into a padded mailer expecting
    the card to arrive safely. Most of the time it does, when it doesn't the seller should
    be the one who pays for their own stupidity and laziness in packaging.

Ebay rules usually put the blame entirely on the seller.
    So rule # 1 above rarely applies.

Cardboard and extra bubble wrap inside a padded mailer will usually prevent any
    damage in transit. Or a 400 ct. box which cost 35 cents, should be used on all cards over
    $200 in value. Shipping cost is only $2.09 (5 oz.) plus the box and bubble wrap inside.
    So for under $2.60 the card will never be damaged in shipment.

Another thing, it's my opinion ALL cards/items should be packaged well. Not just
    expensive ones. The buyer paid their good money to purchase something
    they want, they should expect great service whether it's a $10 card or $500 card.

Just my opinion on the matter.
  • Options

<< <i>I personally think the buyer should have to pay for everything starting with:

1. storage fee, since the seller has to store the item for the length of the auction. something like $ 1-5 dollars a day.
    2. buyer should pay all Final value fees & listing fees
    3. buyer should pay all shipping + insurance, gas , part of my utility bill for keeping the item warm or cold.paper,ink computer & my beer.
    4. buyer should pay first & leave feedback first
    5. any damage to item , the buyer should have to file the claim with the post office.
    6. heck buyers shouldn't be allowed to leave nothing but positive feedback & 5 stars for the sellers.
    7. buyers should have to pay a 1.00 for each bid that they place on my items whether they win or not.
    8.everyone should paypal me (gift) at least 10.00 to 2000.00 dollars for having these ideas.

now start sending me some money.jmho image >>

imageimageimage

9. buyer should have to pay into a fund, a flat rate per month, to be split between me and diamondman for allowing them to peruse our listings at their leisure, while at home, and not have to spend money going to the Mall or the Local Card shop !!!

YeeHahimage

Neilimage
    Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!
  • Options
    So eBay has issued me a courtesy refund for the case and it has been marked as closed. Does this mean I am done with the case and do not have to ship the damaged card back? I ask because I do not have the seller's address as I threw out the envelope.I have been blocked by them and I don't think they are willing to talk to me anymore. I never wanted a free card from them but don't see how to return it at this point.

You all are so knowledgeable about the process, I appreciate all the help.
    Joel
  • Options

<< <i>So eBay has issued me a courtesy refund for the case and it has been marked as closed. Does this mean I am done with the case and do not have to ship the damaged card back? I ask because I do not have the seller's address as I threw out the envelope. I have been blocked by them and I don't think they are willing to talk to me anymore. I never wanted a free card from them but don't see how to return it at this point. >>

////////////////////////////

If the seller gets the "courtesy refund" deducted from his account,
    he may appeal and EBAY may direct you to return the item. They
    will give you the addy; you can also get the addy thru the site map
    link.

The modern practice at EBAY/PP is to look at the communication
    twixt the buyer/seller. IF the seller is an angry idiot, he will mess
    up and use words similar to "the buyer cannot return the item."
    EBAY/PP interpret that to mean "buyer 'tried' to return the item,
    seller said 'no,' and now buyer DOES NOT have to return the item."

On a legit SNAD claim, the ONLY correct seller response is: "Seller
    will refund upon return of item."

Sellers who do not pack their items to withstand an atomic blast
    have no one to blame but themselves, when the PO busts the
    items up. HINT: heavy cardboard + bubble mailer.

• Options
    FYI, I got my money back via my complaint.

The seller was: mrpr020103
    Joel
  • Options
    SouthsiderSouthsider Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    Interesting, I just had this happen to me for the first time in years. A PSA graded card was cracked all the way through right down the middle. The card was in a bubble mailer with no cardboard or extra padding. I emailed the seller with a picture, he told me to send it back and he would issue a full refund upon receiving the card. Easy, no fuss. You can bet that I will definitely buy from that seller again.