Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

2011 Set Registry Awards. Did you win anything?

As I was thumbing through the Set Registry award insert in the new SMR - I was wondering if any of our board members brought home awards. I have always envied folks who put these amazing sets together. It seems like it would take a lot of patience and and even more funding.
Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
Jeff

Comments

• Options
    I actually won the Best Modern Football set for my 1989 Score footbal set in all PSA 10. The irony is that I was the first to finish that set, but the award was noted that it was a 4 way tie! It still was a nice surprise.
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    Congrats on the win! It seems like I see a lot of the same names in there year after year. It's good to see some new winners.

Did any of our other fellow board members take home a prize?
    Jeff
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    congrats Frank!! You coming to the National?
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    1977 Topps Milwaukee Brewers Team Set
    1977 Topps Milwaukee Bucks Team Set
    Brian Winters Master Collection
  • Options
    Nice work!
    Jeff
  • Options
    tyweb1tyweb1 Posts: 528 ✭✭
    I didn't win any of the big awards but I got my mugshot in the SMR with Mr. Santo due to my #1 ranked Ron Santo collection.
  • Options
    I read that article. That's very cool!
    Jeff
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got three top set awards but lost in the best misc. sports set category.

I was really hoping to win but did not pull it off this year. I keep upgrading my sets so perhaps one day I will win for my Wrestling All Stars. I have five new Pop 1's I will be uploading tonight.

• Options
    tyweb1tyweb1 Posts: 528 ✭✭

<< <i>I read that article. That's very cool! >>

Thanks. I was pretty psyched about it.
  • Options

<< <i>I got three top set awards but lost in the best misc. sports set category.

I was really hoping to win but did not pull it off this year. I keep upgrading my sets so perhaps one day I will win for my Wrestling All Stars. I have five new Pop 1's I will be uploading tonight. >>

That's great, David - congrats to you. I've never hit 100% on a set, but after some thinking - I'm going to make a run at at least one set before next year's awards.
    Jeff
  • Options
    twileytwiley Posts: 1,923
    I won on one set.

Derek Jeter Basic Topps
  • Options
    It's tough to beat all 10's. Nice work on the Jeters! See I knew there had to be some winners out there.
    Jeff
  • Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    I sold several of my complete graded sets last year, and most of my sets I am #1 are in the 60% range....but the Jeter set did have me check the Steve Young Topps Basic Set...which I did manage to get an award for...

Steve Young Topps Basic Set

I really need a PSA 9 1986.

There are several sets a couple dozen cards will give me an award (and some free submissions) so I should starting working on them more.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    Jay- I won't be at the National, but am planning on attending the East Coast National.

Twiley- Congrats on your Jeter set. I have numerous player sets that I will one day put on the Registry. Right now they just live on my computer spreadsheet.

Tyweb1- Saw the Santo article too. That's really cool. Congrats
  • Options
    I'm a big Steve Young fan - those are some great cards.

So what determines how many free submissions you get for completing a set on the registry? And do you have to keep it for a certain amount of time for you to qualify for the vouchers?
    Jeff
  • Options
    They have a benefit link in the registry section....it notes:

Free Submissions. We recognize that not every item in every important collection has been graded by PSA. In order to encourage participation in the PSA Set Registry program when your set reaches 90% complete, you are entitled free grading as follows.

If the set composition is 1-50 cards or tickets you are entitled to 1 free grading.
    If the set composition is 51-150 cards or tickets you are entitled to 2 free gradings.
    If the set composition is 151-300 cards or tickets you are entitled to 3 free gradings.
    If the set composition is 301-750 cards or tickets you are entitled to 5 free gradings.
    If the set composition is 751-1500 cards or tickets you are entitled to 6 free gradings.
    If the set composition is over 1500 cards or tickets you are entitled to 7 free gradings.

Most of the sets I am working on are only around 100 cards so not really worth the effort, but I figure after I can get ~10 freebies (with team sets) it would be worth sending in the already graded cards and see if I could get any bumped. Not really in any hurry.

Clear Skies,
    Mark
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
  • Options
    Thanks for posting that, Mark.
    Jeff
  • Options
    twileytwiley Posts: 1,923
    I have free submissions that I haven't used. The Jeter Basic Topps and Jeter Rookie sets. I might use a the free sub to do Jeter's 2012 Topps card and if I one day ever find a 93 SP that looks like a 10 I will use it for my Rookie free sub.

I am closing in on free sub for the Jeter Basic set. I am 84.66% complete on it. I know I will use free subs on that set when I get to 90% on it.

I noticed in order to get an award now you need to be 100% complete.

• Options

<< <i>I noticed in order to get an award now you need to be 100% complete. >>

Those pretty awards with silver ink must have cost them too much. Anyone know if you still have to request them and what the e-mail is. I had an e-mail or two bounce (I guess) so I was unregistered for a couple months until last week. Strangely, I was still getting the vote on sets e-mails...

Clear Skies,
    Mark
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭

<< <i>They have a benefit link in the registry section....it notes:

Free Submissions. We recognize that not every item in every important collection has been graded by PSA. In order to encourage participation in the PSA Set Registry program when your set reaches 90% complete, you are entitled free grading as follows.

If the set composition is 1-50 cards or tickets you are entitled to 1 free grading.
    If the set composition is 51-150 cards or tickets you are entitled to 2 free gradings.
    If the set composition is 151-300 cards or tickets you are entitled to 3 free gradings.
    If the set composition is 301-750 cards or tickets you are entitled to 5 free gradings.
    If the set composition is 751-1500 cards or tickets you are entitled to 6 free gradings.
    If the set composition is over 1500 cards or tickets you are entitled to 7 free gradings.

Most of the sets I am working on are only around 100 cards so not really worth the effort, but I figure after I can get ~10 freebies (with team sets) it would be worth sending in the already graded cards and see if I could get any bumped. Not really in any hurry.

Clear Skies,
    Mark >>

cool, so the favre master set i have which requires only ~4200 cards would get me a whopping 7 free gradings!!!! but only when i reach 90%. not sure how they can stay in business with these freebies.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    onefasttalononefasttalon Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭
    Here's a shocker... I earned a couple registry awards for my basic/master sets.
    I'm actually glad to see there are a couple others out there collecting Sabo these days... Competition is always good.

ALWAYS Looking for Chris Sabo cards!

• Options

<< <i>I actually won the Best Modern Football set for my 1989 Score footbal set in all PSA 10. The irony is that I was the first to finish that set, but the award was noted that it was a 4 way tie! It still was a nice surprise. >>

I saw that Frank, congratulations on a great set buddy. You have a ton of great sets, nice to see you hang a banner from the rafters!

I won an award for my Steve Largent sets, Im very proud of those image
  • Options
    kingnascarkingnascar Posts: 636 ✭✭✭
    I won Best Modern Miscellaneous Sports Set of the Year for my perfect 10 1988 Maxx Charlotte Racing Master Set

Logan
  • Options
    Nice Logan. You have some very impressive sets.

Clear Skies,
    Mark
  • Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    I saw that Frank, congratulations on a great set buddy. You have a ton of great sets, nice to see you hang a banner from the rafters!

Thanks Publius. I got the plaque from PSA last week. Came home Friday night and my wife hung it on the wall by my computer. Not quite "the rafters", but it will have to doimage
  • Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070

<< <i>I'm a weener!! >>

Wow, and that's quite a set. And displacing someone that held the top spot for so long is always cool, IMO.
  • Options
    kingnascarkingnascar Posts: 636 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice Logan. You have some very impressive sets.

Clear Skies,
    Mark >>

\

Thanks Mark
  • Options
    Congratulations to all the winners!!!!! imageimageimage!!!
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"