Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Rough cuts

How tolerant is PSA in grading rough cuts? Can it still be graded as high as a 9?

Late 60's and early to mid 70's non-sports

Comments

• Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭✭
    Very tolerant and absolutely.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    I agree. 9's are entirely possible with rough cuts. In fact a few of my best sales came from 9's with a rough cut, I'm guessing because it almost proves it's not been trimmed.
  • Options
    smallstockssmallstocks Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks! Just what I was hoping. Doing a box break of 1968 non-sports and the cards are gorgeous but many are rough cuts, whcih I think are actualy quite cool.

Late 60's and early to mid 70's non-sports
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    yes they are.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    I remember a bunch of older fleer football that had rough cuts years ago that I submitted and got nice results......in fact I wish I still had them......
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    I think there is a bit of an issue dependency, for what it's worth.

Rough cuts on 1979 O-Pee-Chee baseball is expected, for instance. Rough cuts on 1989 Upper Deck, on the other hand, would likely be frowned upon.

For most older issues, rough cuts are generally fine. You do have to worry if the rough cuts leaves a very soft corner (or a corner with extra material sticking out) -- that tends to get frowned upon, too.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    blacklabblacklab Posts: 187 ✭✭
    Very tolerant. In fact, some put a premium on rough cut cards.