Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

United States Gold Counterfeit Detection Guide

I was reading Bill Fivaz' "United States Gold Counterfeit Detection Guide" and noticed there are only 2 gold coins that have been counterfeited prior to 1849... DCarr and Ambro, are you listening? image
WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards

Comments

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,475 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I was reading Bill Fivaz' "United States Gold Counterfeit Detection Guide" and noticed there are only 2 gold coins that have been counterfeited prior to 1849... DCarr and Ambro, are you listening? image >>

In order to make near perfect false dies, the counterfeiter needs a near perfect genuine coin from which to cast his dies which limits him to coins from about 1880 or newer.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I was reading Bill Fivaz' "United States Gold Counterfeit Detection Guide" and noticed there are only 2 gold coins that have been counterfeited prior to 1849... DCarr and Ambro, are you listening? image >>

In order to make near perfect false dies, the counterfeiter needs a near perfect genuine coin from which to cast his dies which limits him to coins from about 1880 or newer. >>

Many of the higher quality counterfeits are not from cast dies, but from transfer dies (assuming a real coin was used to create the false die).
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,475 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

In order to make near perfect false dies, the counterfeiter needs a near perfect genuine coin from which to cast his dies which limits him to coins from about 1880 or newer. >>

Many of the higher quality counterfeits are not from cast dies, but from transfer dies (assuming a real coin was used to create the false die). >>

Once again, the counterfeiter needs a near perfect coin to make his false dies which pretty much limits him to post 1880 gold coins. Also, real coins are almost always used to make fake dies since hand engraving dies seldom produces satisfactory results and is very labor intensive.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Aegis3Aegis3 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭

I suspect you mean he only lists two counterfeit coins dated prior to 1849. Don't consider any counterfeit guide to be fully comprehensive. (And yes, there are more than two, especially if you count cool contemporary counterfeits.)
    --

Ed. S.

(EJS)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file