Home Sports Talk
Options

Philadelphia Eagles road to the Super Bowl

stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
Our new backup quarterback is better than most team's #1 quarterback.

I'm just wondering which AFC team we're gonna beat in the Super Bowl?

Comments

• Options
    What a secondary. Eagles-Patriots Super Bowl.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This thread sounds familiar...as are the results at the end of the season for Eagle fans: dejection and despair..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Silly Eagles fans thinking Vick will have another year like he did last year image
  • Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Our new backup quarterback is better than most team's #1 quarterback.

I'm just wondering which AFC team we're gonna beat in the Super Bowl? >>

The Eagles are going to be very good, but you always have stupid comments...VY?
  • Options
    cincyredlegscincyredlegs Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭

Vi

Sorry man, Vince Young is not that good of a QB. He is athletic but is not a good passer and is dumb as a box of rocks. There is a reason why he signed on as a back-up QB.

Wasn't it the Heat calling themselves the Dream Team....Yeah, they finished 2nd.

I am not an Eagles hater and wouldn't mind seeing them win but it is a long season and a lot of things can happen.

You better hope Vick can stay healthy. No one saw him coming last year but defenses will be gunning for him this season.

Just my 2 cents.

Mark
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524
  • Options
    Congrats to the Eagles on their off-season Super Bowl title...
    Now, let's find out what happens in the regular and post-season.

I am not saying the Eagles won't be good, because they should be. On paper, they should be great.
    But, if my two options were "the Eagles" or "the field", I am going to take the field (it's a simple odds/numbers game).
  • Options

<< <i>

Vi

Sorry man, Vince Young is not that good of a QB. He is athletic but is not a good passer and is dumb as a box of rocks. There is a reason why he signed on as a back-up QB.

Wasn't it the Heat calling themselves the Dream Team....Yeah, they finished 2nd.

I am not an Eagles hater and wouldn't mind seeing them win but it is a long season and a lot of things can happen.

You better hope Vick can stay healthy. No one saw him coming last year but defenses will be gunning for him this season.

Just my 2 cents.

Mark >>

I'm not saying your points don't have some validity, but Young had a heckuva career in college at Texas, and had a pretty good winning record with the Titans. So despite his faults, the guy is a winner...and Andy Reid is a disciplinarian, and I think Young is a good fit for the Eagles. Andy Reid has his faults as well including play calling at the end of close football games, but he is a heckuva quarterbacks coach, and I'm sure Reid is expecting that Young can be coached up and perform better...we shall see.

But I stand by my statement that under the circumstances, Young is better than most team's #1 quarterback...and if Vick goes down, then a coached up Young I think can do the job well and help lead the Eagles to a Super Bowl.
  • Options
    I'd rather have Kolb as a backup than Young..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>I'd rather have Kolb as a backup than Young.. >>

Point taken...but I'd rather have the upside with Young. There is no upside at this point with Kolb.

With Young there is the talent to be a Super Bowl winning quarterback...I don't see that possibility with Kevin Kolb.
  • Options

<< <i>

Point taken...but I'd rather have the upside with Young. There is no upside at this point with Kolb.

With Young there is the talent to be a Super Bowl winning quarterback...I don't see that possibility with Kevin Kolb. >>

Funny you didn't think that last year when he was named the starter after trading away McNabb.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

With Young there is the talent to be a Super Bowl winning quarterback...I don't see that possibility with Kevin Kolb. >>

Funny you didn't think that last year when he was named the starter after trading away McNabb. >>

You have a selective memory. I am always gonna root for any player on the Eagles team, and be hopeful that they do well. However, many of my posts about Kolb expressed doubt about his ability to be a winning #1 quarterback in the NFL. When he was with the Eagles, I was hoping to be proven wrong, but unfortunately I was proven right.

• Options
    SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭

Rex Ryan would want to see their feet first, and maybe a little squeeze.

Yeah baby, that's Jets football.
  • Options
    Jets football has involved a lot more playoff action than Eagles football the last couple of seasons.

No one cares about feet when you're winning football games...except maybe you. that is..

• Options
    I'd rather have Buddy Ryan than Rex Ryan. image

All kidding aside...if the stupid Eagles owner at the time, "The man in France"...would have left Buddy alone, there's no doubt the Eagles would have had some Super Bowl trophies under Buddy's guidance - he was perhaps the best evaluator of defensive football talent, possibly in the history of the NFL.
  • Options

<< <i>I'd rather have Buddy Ryan than Rex Ryan. image

All kidding aside...if the stupid Eagles owner at the time, "The man in France"...would have left Buddy alone, there's no doubt the Eagles would have had some Super Bowl trophies under Buddy's guidance - he was perhaps the best evaluator of defensive football talent, possibly in the history of the NFL. >>

+1 Look what Buddy did with the bears.

on a side note if their is a rematch of the packers and eagles in the playoffs, I don't see those deep tds by the packers.
  • Options
    <<< +1 Look what Buddy did with the bears. >>>

Buddy Ryan sure made Mike Ditka look good didn't he?

Buddy was simply amazing the way he found star defensive players in the late rounds of the draft - incredible really. And Buddy was starting to learn to do the same with the offense, before Norman Braman fired him only for the reason that he didn't personally like him...one of the dumbest, most undeserved firings in sports history.

• Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    Steve,

Remember the road to the Super Bowl is very bumpy and always expect the unexpected. The Eagles are a very good team, but they play in a very competitive division and even making the playoffs is no guarantee.

I also agree with Mark that defenses will be game planning for Vick this year and there won't be any surprising people. As good as Vick can be, he still hasn't won anything yet and the jury is still out.

With all that said, I like Andy Reid as a coach and they have assembled a very solid team so let's get the season going already!!!
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options

<< <i>Steve,

Remember the road to the Super Bowl is very bumpy and always expect the unexpected. The Eagles are a very good team, but they play in a very competitive division and even making the playoffs is no guarantee.

I also agree with Mark that defenses will be game planning for Vick this year and there won't be any surprising people. As good as Vick can be, he still hasn't won anything yet and the jury is still out.

With all that said, I like Andy Reid as a coach and they have assembled a very solid team so let's get the season going already!!! >>

Mike - You're new here at Sports Talk for a football season so I'll fill you in on the Sports Talk forum etiquette. Derogatory, disparaging and inflammatory remarks may be made against all other NFL teams and their players, with the exception of the Philadelphia Eagles and their players. There may only be kind, considerate and loving comments made about the Eagles and all Eagles players.Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

• Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    <<<Point taken...but I'd rather have the upside with Young. There is no upside at this point with Kolb.>>>

I disagree. I think we've seen the ceiling for VY, while we don't really know what Kolb's ceiling is, as he has only played in a handful of games. I think you are overestimating VY just a little bit. There are probably 10-11 starting QBs that he is clearly better than, and maybe another 2-3 that he is right in line with. Everyone else is better. Kolb may struggle in Arizona, but it may not be all his fault. The Cardinals don't have anywhere near the the same weapons that the Eagles have on offense.

What is being somewhat overlooked is that Eagles just got easier to prepare for when the inevitable time comes that Vick is questionable for any given week. Teams can start developing their game plan for the Eagles, regardless of who the starter is, since both guys bring the exact same things to the table (Vick just does those things better).
  • Options

<< <i>I'd rather have Buddy Ryan than Rex Ryan. image

All kidding aside...if the stupid Eagles owner at the time, "The man in France"...would have left Buddy alone, there's no doubt the Eagles would have had some Super Bowl trophies under Buddy's guidance - he was perhaps the best evaluator of defensive football talent, possibly in the history of the NFL. >>

Eagles...Super Bowl trophies
  • Options

<< <i>Mike - You're new here at Sports Talk for a football season so I'll fill you in on the Sports Talk forum etiquette. Derogatory, disparaging and inflammatory remarks may be made against all other NFL teams and their players, with the exception of the Philadelphia Eagles and their players. There may only be kind, considerate and loving comments made about the Eagles and all Eagles players.Thank you in advance for your cooperation. image >>

That Eagle Mascot is kind of cute and Vick does receive the ball well from under center. image

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Mike - You're new here at Sports Talk for a football season so I'll fill you in on the Sports Talk forum etiquette. Derogatory, disparaging and inflammatory remarks may be made against all other NFL teams and their players, with the exception of the Philadelphia Eagles and their players. There may only be kind, considerate and loving comments made about the Eagles and all Eagles players.Thank you in advance for your cooperation. image >>

That Eagle Mascot is kind of cute and Vick does receive the ball well from under center. image >>

Mike...please...not that "loving" image LOL
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>That Eagle Mascot is kind of cute and Vick does receive the ball well from under center. image >>

Mike...please...not that "loving" image LOL >>

Sorry, wrong forum. image

Collecting:
  • Options
    I know it was only one series, but Vick looked very sharp.
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    As a long time season ticket holder (20+ years), I have only been this optimistic for a Super Bowl appearance a handful of times. The first time was my first full season. Unfortunately, that was also Rich Kotites first season - Cunningham was lost for the year after playing less than a half in the opener in GB. They had some good teams under Kotite, but like most Eagles teams, fell a bit short.

Next came Rhodes - same thing. Had some great teams, but ultimately could not get over the hump.

Under Reid, the Eagles have been very successful .... on paper. I am not a big fan of his, as I feel his time management and play calling is questionable. Sure, he reached the NFC Title game 5 times, but only went to the dance once. FIVE times in the title game. Not quite sure how the birds did not make it at least three times. Oh well. In any event, under Reid I was confident twice - once in 2001, only to see the Vet closed down by TB (does JoeStalin still post here?) and when they signed TO. The Eagles should have beat the Pats that year, imo. They were a better team.

I am confident in the team this season. It is a badass team. I would like to say that this team will go 16-0, but that would be silly. Or would it? They will dominate on both sides of the ball, the special teams is excellent, and Reid looks to run more. With a true change of pace back in Brown, they will. The NFC East is terrible, and I really expect a sweep.

Who they play in the Super Bowl this year is anyone's guess. I would love to see the Steelers .... those yinzers are always yackin about their rings.

I look forward to seeing GangGreen II in the Super Bowl.
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options

<< <i>As a long time season ticket holder (20+ years), I have only been this optimistic for a Super Bowl appearance a handful of times. The first time was my first full season. Unfortunately, that was also Rich Kotites first season - Cunningham was lost for the year after playing less than a half in the opener in GB. They had some good teams under Kotite, but like most Eagles teams, fell a bit short.

Next came Rhodes - same thing. Had some great teams, but ultimately could not get over the hump.

Under Reid, the Eagles have been very successful .... on paper. I am not a big fan of his, as I feel his time management and play calling is questionable. Sure, he reached the NFC Title game 5 times, but only went to the dance once. FIVE times in the title game. Not quite sure how the birds did not make it at least three times. Oh well. In any event, under Reid I was confident twice - once in 2001, only to see the Vet closed down by TB (does JoeStalin still post here?) and when they signed TO. The Eagles should have beat the Pats that year, imo. They were a better team.

I am confident in the team this season. It is a badass team. I would like to say that this team will go 16-0, but that would be silly. Or would it? They will dominate on both sides of the ball, the special teams is excellent, and Reid looks to run more. With a true change of pace back in Brown, they will. The NFC East is terrible, and I really expect a sweep.

Who they play in the Super Bowl this year is anyone's guess. I would love to see the Steelers .... those yinzers are always yackin about their rings.

I look forward to seeing GangGreen II in the Super Bowl. >>

Spot on post, and I think it's worth mentioning that Buddy Ryan, after getting unjustly fired, basically handed that team over to Kotite and Rhodes and there's no doubt in my mind, that Buddy would have eventually brought a Super Bowl or two to Philly. As bad as Kotite was, Ray Rhodes was one of the worst head coaches I've ever seen.

Andy Reid...where do I begin (LOL)...suffice to say a great coach in coaching players up and getting them to perform and understand the game...however one of the worst late game play calling coaches I have ever seen. His overall general game plan is usually good and he adjusts okay during the game...but in a key critical situations late in the game, and often also during the end of the first half, he looks like a deer in oncoming headlights over on the sidelines...he needs a good #2 guy who can call these type of plays for him, but alas I don't expect it to happen.

By the way, in that Pats game, the Pats were 7 point favorites which is a pretty fair favorite in a Super Bowl...little remembered fact is that the Eagles superb tight end, Chad Lewis, got injured in the NFC championship game and couldn't play in the Super Bowl - I think the Eagles beat the Pats in that game with Chad Lewis in there, as the Eagles only lost by 3 points and Chad Lewis was definitely worth more than 3 points.
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    Reid has to learn to put teams away - the Pats came out in the 2nd half and looked like a team that adjusted (maybe with some film help image) and the Eagles did the same thing.
    The score was close at the half, but the Eagles had em.

Personally, my "theory" is that Reid has been given the players this year. Deliver a ring, or pack your bags. If he wins ONE, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for the next 5 seasons. Okay, for two seasons ...
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options

<< <i>Reid has to learn to put teams away - the Pats came out in the 2nd half and looked like a team that adjusted (maybe with some film help image) and the Eagles did the same thing.
    The score was close at the half, but the Eagles had em.

Personally, my "theory" is that Reid has been given the players this year. Deliver a ring, or pack your bags. If he wins ONE, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for the next 5 seasons. Okay, for two seasons ... >>

I think Andy in those tight situations with little time left on the clock, his brain tries to conjure up some clever trick play...well, the best coaches in football history in situations such as that, they usually go strictly to their best offensive strength and if the other team stops them, then they stop them. Reid needs to cutout the nonsense in those situations, don't waste a timeout which also gives the defense time to contemplate the play as well as getting a breather, and Reid should just quickly call a play which uses the best strength that the Eagles have. Our Eagles would win a lot more football games this way.
  • Options
    Excellent win today...Offense looking good, Defense looking good...and life is good. image

The Super Bowl awaits us.

Go Eagles!!!!!
  • Options
    LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimage
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    that is a TERRIBLE crop on the volleyball picture image
  • Options
    Philly Defense came up big for me in fantasy today!
  • Options
    Thank you Jets...thank you very much.

To the Jets...thanks again!

Dam, it's a great time to be a Philly sports fan.
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    the eagles are the bees knees. good thing the packers dont have to play them this year. well unless the packers and eagles meet in the playoffs that is.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    eaglets......playoffs......imageimageimage
  • Options

<< <i>Thank you Jets...thank you very much.

Dam, it's a great time to be a Philly sports fan. >>

Win something and then you can say that.
  • Options
    I agree!!!
  • Options
    Come on Steve! I thought it was so great to be a eaglet fan!!image

You had better get use to games like the last one.......there will be a lot of them this year! He He He!!!
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thank you Jets...thank you very much.

Dam, it's a great time to be a Philly sports fan. >>

Steve, you do know that the Eagles will go down in flames at some point right? It is their MO image

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    Yup
  • Options
    Isn't it great! And McPuke (X eaglet great) is 0-3 with the Vikes!image
  • Options
    Eagles sure ain't much this season, but still a decent shot at possibly winning the NFC East as no dominant team in there. However, if Vick goes down it's obvious the season would be over, and that's a bad scenario considering how fragile Vick can be. Still, I don't miss Kevin Kolb or #5 I forget his name.

Hey, as long as the Eagles beat the Cowboys twice this season...as always I would still consider it a good season even if the Eagles went 0 - 14 the rest of the way. LOL
  • Options
    Hey Steve you had better look at your history with the Cowboys. Any sweeping done was probably done by the Cowboys!image

I'll see if I can find that somewhere.

And I'm thinking the Cowboys can win the NFC East this year if they can beat the Giants. Skins and Eaglets don't look that good.
  • Options
    Here's a little resent history:

1991 Regular Season - The Eagles began the 1991 season by pounding the Cowboys 24-0 in Texas Stadium in Week 3. Riding a three-game winning streak, Dallas entered Veterans Stadium in Week 16 with a chance at a playoff berth, their first since 1985. The Cowboys benefitted from Eagles QB Randall Cunningham being injured, and rode a Kelvin Martin punt return for a touchdown to a 25-13 victory. The loss jolted the Eagles from the playoff picture.

1993 and 1995 Divisional Playoffs - The Cowboys ousted the Eagles from the NFC Playoffs twice in the 1990s by defeating them in the Divisional Playoffs by the score of 34-10 in 1992, and 30-11 in 1995. The Cowboys eventually advanced to, and won, Super Bowls in both seasons.

Super Bowls:

Super Bowl appearances (10)

Dallas Cowboys (8) – 1970, 1971, 1975, 1977, 1978, 1992, 1993, 1995 5 wins!
    Philadelphia Eagles (2) – 1980, 2004 0 wins!

History:

Rivalry status 100 meetings
    Current streak Dallas Cowboys (1 win)
    All-time series Dallas Cowboys lead 56-44!

Nuff said!!!!!!
  • Options

<< <i>Here's a little resent history:

1991 Regular Season - The Eagles began the 1991 season by pounding the Cowboys 24-0 in Texas Stadium in Week 3. Riding a three-game winning streak, Dallas entered Veterans Stadium in Week 16 with a chance at a playoff berth, their first since 1985. The Cowboys benefitted from Eagles QB Randall Cunningham being injured, and rode a Kelvin Martin punt return for a touchdown to a 25-13 victory. The loss jolted the Eagles from the playoff picture.

1993 and 1995 Divisional Playoffs - The Cowboys ousted the Eagles from the NFC Playoffs twice in the 1990s by defeating them in the Divisional Playoffs by the score of 34-10 in 1992, and 30-11 in 1995. The Cowboys eventually advanced to, and won, Super Bowls in both seasons.

Super Bowls:

Super Bowl appearances (10)

Dallas Cowboys (8) – 1970, 1971, 1975, 1977, 1978, 1992, 1993, 1995 5 wins!
    Philadelphia Eagles (2) – 1980, 2004 0 wins!

History:

Rivalry status 100 meetings
    Current streak Dallas Cowboys (1 win)
    All-time series Dallas Cowboys lead 56-44!

Nuff said!!!!!! >>

The Cowboys have some nice hardware in their trophy case...no doubt about that. Should be a good game on Sunday night.....

....I'd wish your team good luck but you'd know I wouldn't mean it. image
  • Options
    Welcome back, Steve...btw, the Phillies lost in the playoffs..

• Options

<< <i>Welcome back, Steve...btw, the Phillies lost in the playoffs.. >>

I saw the NL celebration with the red uniforms...I thought it was the Phillies.
  • Options
    Nice win for the Eagles. Andy Reid with a 13 - 0 record off the bye week - simply amazing!

Cowboys played hard, but the game just got away from them. Ya see that all the time in the NFL. Certainly the Cowboys aren't that bad and the Eagles aren't that good, but I'm still gonna savor the win tonight, and at least the Eagles are back in the hunt.
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi Steve

The Cowboys suck. I refuse to watch another game.

That is all.
  • Options

<< <i>Hi Steve

The Cowboys suck. I refuse to watch another game.

That is all. >>

Hi Matt - I really wish you wouldn't speak badly about the Cowboys because it also speaks badly about the Cowboys team owner, the honorable and distinguished Jerry Jones, who is my favorite owner in all of sports. image