Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Opinions on this Willie Mays rookie...

I need a Willie Mays RC for my '51 Bowman set and I'm not really picky about condition. What are your thoughts on this: '51 Mays RC

The immediate red flags are there... Not graded, poor scan, etc... but the guy has a good feedback rating. He is also selling a lot of other hig end vintage cards, graded & raw. Cobbs, DiMaggios, etc... He says they are all legit. Thoughts on the Mays or the seller in general?

Thanks.

2.5 is pretty much my speed.

Comments

• bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    Looks good to me, but it is hard to say.....you should be better able to tell in person. If you win it, put it on a credit card, and if it don't look right in person, send it back.
  • digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    If you're happy with a beater, why not wait for a PSA 1 to come along? At least you'll know it isn't fake or doctored.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    The fuzzy scan is a red flag for me.
    Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • jimradjimrad Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭
    nope
    Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
    MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax
  • Run away you can do better elsewhere. Check out his sweet Banks RC Banks
    A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore.
    Yogi Berra

• scmavlscmavl Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If you're happy with a beater, why not wait for a PSA 1 to come along? At least you'll know it isn't fake or doctored. >>

I agree with this, although I'd prefer an SGC 20-30 as my Mantle is an SGC 50 and I think this issue looks better in SGC holders. But I know there are SOME legit Mays that are ungraded. Just trying to stumble upon one for a better price.

Thanks for the opinions all!
    2.5 is pretty much my speed.
  • when in doubt , do without...
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123
    phone: 973 747 6304
    email: rickprobstein1@gmail.com

Probstein123 is actively accepting CONSIGNMENTS !!
  • Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the advice to buy a PSA 1 that has been authenticated is great advice.

There seems to be little reason to gamble when you are buying a card in this condition.
  • twileytwiley Posts: 1,923

<< <i>when in doubt , do without... >>

• fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    All of his RAW vintage cards are authentic, no red flags as far as that goes...

Thing thats annoying is he calls every dang card a "rookie" when they aint ie the E96 Mack, R319 Ruth, etc. and overhypes many of them. All cards look to be scanned with same scanner, but one looks to be graded by SGC with no mention of it (E96)

PS thanks for pointing the listings out Im bidding on a few image
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Guy writes like a 5th grader.

Good for you.
  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,582 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The correct answer is "stay away"
  • DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    Great things happen to those who wait!
    "A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
  • jamesryanbelljamesryanbell Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭
    It's not worth the current bid.

Pass.

-- Ryan Bell
  • IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Guy writes like a 5th grader. >>

He's from Arkansas

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • jamesryanbelljamesryanbell Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Guy writes like a 5th grader. >>

He's from Arkansas

IMF >>

LOL!!!!!!
    -- Ryan Bell