Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Thread for tips and advice about The National

With the National less than a week away, I thought I would start a thread for any advice or tips for those going to the National for the first time.

One question I have, is it worth my time to do a sweep of all the booths for promo's and freebies when I get there or are those mostly reserved for the VIP schwag bag?

If there are freebies to be had, are there any corporate vendors that are known for good freebies (i.e., head to their booth first)?

Another concern of mine is transporting all of my purchases from the convention to home. I plan on travelling on public transportation to and from the convention. I am bringing a sizeable amount of cards to drop off at the checkoumycards booth (about 2500) so I will have my backpack but I plan on picking up a few unopened boxes if I can find them at good prices. Anyone ever purchase more than they could carry out from a show? Any advice on this? Will places like bbce offer a shipping option even if only across town? I guess I could do a cab if I get ridiculous and buy a case or something.

Comments

• ThoseBackPagesThoseBackPages Posts: 4,871 ✭✭
    Great thread.

I have a few questions as well.

How's the lighting there? As a slab head, I know that all slabs are not created equal and I like to see the card in the holder.
    How do the dealers there feel about me using my loupe to examine cards before buying?

I'm sure I'll think of others, but those stick out at the moment
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • How do the dealers there feel about me using my loupe to examine cards before buying?
    ==> a non issue....no problem
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123
    phone: 973 747 6304
    email: rickprobstein1@gmail.com

Probstein123 is actively accepting CONSIGNMENTS !!
  • From my experience [ 8 Nationals]:

You can ship from the floor at the National. UPS and I think Fed EX have booths for you to ship your stuff back home or anywhere it needs to go.

I have had no problem using a magnifier and different light sources to check certain cards/items.

There is soooo much to see/take in. Prices drop each day[for the most part] and SUNDAY is the best day to get items you want at the best possible price. Dealers dont wanna take anything back they dont have to. Dont be afraid to "offer" a fair price for the items you want. Most prices are inflated with room to "move".

The speed of light is faster than the speed of sound...That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

-t206
    -e90-1
    -e95
    -m116
  • RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Don't waste time in the manufacturer booths, unless that's your thing.

Don't waste time at dealer tables that you know won't have anything that you want.

You most likely will not cover all the ground there, so don't try.

Do your admin bidness first or last - dropping off cards for grading, consignment, etc.

Bring suitcases full of money.
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257

<< <i>Bring suitcases full of money. >>

Would LOVE to be able to do this someday. But right now the only way I'd be able to bring suitecases of money is if I changed everything into Yen. LOL
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • thedutymonthedutymon Posts: 4,323
    Afternoon,

Although my second National, I do have a question. I am grabbing a handfull of medium dollar Vintage Sport Graded stuff ($100-$500 per item), do any dealers do any trading? I don't mind being a little on the short end of the stick on most of these as I already made a profit on the lot they came in, or whatever. So am not looking to make out like a bandit, just get rid of them for some decent trading.

Does this happen?

Thanks
    Neil
    Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!
  • leadoff4leadoff4 Posts: 2,392
    I was wondering about the shipping options too... great thread. Does PSA do re-holders at the National?
  • There is a Fed Ex inside the Hyatt right across the street and a USPS not too far from the Convention Center.
    In all the years past(so I would assume this year as well) , Psa has done Re holders and Mechanical errors on site but try to get them to them asap so that you can get them back at the show. Hope that helps
  • mccardguy1mccardguy1 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Afternoon,

Although my second National, I do have a question. I am grabbing a handfull of medium dollar Vintage Sport Graded stuff ($100-$500 per item), do any dealers do any trading? I don't mind being a little on the short end of the stick on most of these as I already made a profit on the lot they came in, or whatever. So am not looking to make out like a bandit, just get rid of them for some decent trading.

Does this happen?

Thanks
    Neil >>

Neil I take stuff to trade all the time. To be honest it all depends on the dealer as to how much in their favor they want trade! I have had some guys basically try and rob me blind but others were very reasonable! Its really hit and miss. I actually sold some 73 topps PSA 8 commons to Levi (707) a few nationals ago and he gave me what I thought was a very reasonable price. You just never know. If you see something you like on a guys table I would take out a handfull of cards to show him you have graded material and ask if he trades!! Seeing the graded stuff in your hand at least helps level the playing field a bit!

I will be there Saturday. if you are still around it would be great to say hello!!
    I am on a budget and I am not afraid to use it!!
  • This is a solid thread. I have it set up with a dealer that is driving to the show that will bring some of my items back for me. Also don't low ball offers to dealers and offend them. If you make fair offers they are going to work with you. But also dealers shouldn't have unreasonable prices and get mad when someone isn't willing to pay the high prices. People going to the show should be ready to buy at fair prices, and sellers should be ready to sell at fair prices. I'm also a believer in good people skills and visiting with alot of dealers goes a long way. If a dealer has something you want go visit with them a few times and dont insult them with low offers. Merely be patient and hopefully you can come to an agreement. It is a big show so have fun and don't get to attached to any one item if its not the price you feel comfortable giving for it.
  • cadets68cadets68 Posts: 596 ✭✭✭

<< <i>With the National less than a week away, I thought I would start a thread for any advice or tips for those going to the National for the first time.

One question I have, is it worth my time to do a sweep of all the booths for promo's and freebies when I get there or are those mostly reserved for the VIP schwag bag?

If there are freebies to be had, are there any corporate vendors that are known for good freebies (i.e., head to their booth first)?

Another concern of mine is transporting all of my purchases from the convention to home. I plan on travelling on public transportation to and from the convention. I am bringing a sizeable amount of cards to drop off at the checkoumycards booth (about 2500) so I will have my backpack but I plan on picking up a few unopened boxes if I can find them at good prices. Anyone ever purchase more than they could carry out from a show? Any advice on this? Will places like bbce offer a shipping option even if only across town? I guess I could do a cab if I get ridiculous and buy a case or something. >>

I would not waste time looking for promos. I did pick some up in the past, but only when lines were short and I was already in the area.

None of the freebies I received in the past amounted to anything.

I have brought a full size large suitcase with wheels to shows when I thought about buying something big. Normally I take the smaller suitcase on wheels. I did a backpack at the last National in Chicago and found it to be too small. That is why I changed to suitcases. Plus much easier to lug around.

I would not take public transportation if I was worried about getting my stuff home.

Good luck and have fun.

Shawn
    After those four National League games, Gorman Thomas was never the same, and neither were the Brewers, and come to think of it neither was I.

Josh Wilker - Cardboard Gods
  • KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    When trying to sell to a dealer at a show it's important to understand that they're under no obligation to want, offer, or buy your cards. It doesn't matter how great of a deal you think it is, it may not be something they want. You're under no obligation to buy any cards you don't want, and they're the same way. Don't get offended if they don't want to buy your cards. Cut all the BS, know what you want, and tell the dealer the price. If they want to buy them they'll buy or counter-offer. If they don't want them they'll say no. If they say no let it go, and don't push the dealer to make an offer for cards they don't want. There's 100's of other dealers there so find somebody else who has interest in buying what you're selling.
  • NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    The place to look for the promos and freebies is the card manufacturers. I expect all of them will have some sort of redemption program, and these can end up being very lucrative (especially if they decide to randomly insert autographed cards in the redemption packs). Even if you're not doing the redemptions, some will be handing out cards to everyone going past (Topps is fond of doing prepackaged packets of a few base cards from one of their medium-tier sets - Heritage, Nat'l Chicle, etc.).

The importance of comfortable shoes cannot be overstated.

Nick

Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • dmurphy3mvpdmurphy3mvp Posts: 264 ✭✭✭

<< <i>When trying to sell to a dealer at a show it's important to understand that they're under no obligation to want, offer, or buy your cards. It doesn't matter how great of a deal you think it is, it may not be something they want. You're under no obligation to buy any cards you don't want, and they're the same way. Don't get offended if they don't want to buy your cards. Cut all the BS, know what you want, and tell the dealer the price. If they want to buy them they'll buy or counter-offer. If they don't want them they'll say no. If they say no let it go, and don't push the dealer to make an offer for cards they don't want. There's 100's of other dealers there so find somebody else who has interest in buying what you're selling. >>

I absolutely love this advice.

Reed Kasaoka
    Buyer, Baseball Card Exchange

cell: (808) 372-1974
    email: ReedBBCE@gmail.com
    eBay stores: bbcexchange, bbcexchange2, bbcexchange3, bbcexchange4

• Nascar360Nascar360 Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭
    Want a free shirt!
    Come to Press Pass booth #618 at the National this week and say, "On card isn't hard" for a free shirt! Wear your shirt the week of the National for FREE PRIZES handed out randomly!

Nascard Radio Link