Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Top 5 Registry Set owners - any series!

I often wonder what the owners of the top 5 Registry Sets in any series, does for a living? Given how expensive the coins get at these levels, I am just curious if these owners are mostly professional types, you know doctors, lawyers, hedge fund managers, etc. Any thoughts or insights? Any "Top Pop" registry players please chime in.
What we've got here is failure to communicate.....

Successful BST xactions w/PCcoins, Drunner, Manofcoins, Rampage, docg, Poppee, RobKool, and MichealDixon.

Comments

• The top five in some series costs you under $1,000. Those guys could be anyone image
  • Bankerbob56Bankerbob56 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The top five in some series costs you under $1,000. Those guys could be anyone image >>

Good point! I did not realize that!!

Successful BST xactions w/PCcoins, Drunner, Manofcoins, Rampage, docg, Poppee, RobKool, and MichealDixon.
  • OchoRealesOchoReales Posts: 1,500
    I'm Top Pop in the Palestine Mandate series (World). I have been putting the collection together for 24 years. During most of this time, I have been a full time coin dealer.
    Lurker since '02. Got the seven year itch!

Gary
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a couple and I do nothing anymore.
  • MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    Currently # 1 in Barber Quarters [ 2009, 2010, 2011 ]
    and # 3 in Barber Halves.

Interior Designer - now retired.

Images are below:
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • raycycaraycyca Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭
    Retired military on fixed income. Made many of the low/top Pop's myself. Many with freebie submissions.
    You only live life once, enjoy it like it's your last day. It just MIGHT be!

• OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Few collect my series - Liberty $2.50's by date and mintmark. Reaching the top 5 hardly breaks a sweat. The finest sets in my series are not even in the Registry.
  • fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    My #1 sets include
    Dos Pesos
    Presidential Dollars
    Mercury Dimes variety set (no bands) (Thanks Larry for not posting your full band set in the no band side).
    I have a bunch in the top 5.
    I am a buyer for a merchandising company in the Midwest. I am also a dealer in which has some web sales along with the local shows in which I set up a table.
    I would chalk some of these up to perseverance and time. I know in my case I don't have a fat wallet. image

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• CalebCaleb Posts: 739
    High School student image
  • sonoranmonsoonsonoranmonsoon Posts: 2,078 ✭✭
    I am retired from Real Estate Sales and options trading. I now own a small rustic lodge in the mountains, that still keeps me on my toes a bit.
  • giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Full-time writer and coin dealer
    VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Bankerbob56Bankerbob56 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Full-time writer and coin dealer >>

Giorgio please expound on your writing experience! Articles, technical, speeches, novels..... just curious!

• DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭
    Making the top 5 in a set may be easy and inexpensive or expensive, or may be difficult and expensive to very expensive. There are some sets that might be difficult and not too expensive; there are a LOT of registry set categories out there. The most popular ones are the toughest to crack into the top 5.

My easiest top set was the simple purchase of an intact and PCGS-graded 1904 proof set. If you look at the registry listings for older proof sets (before 1936) any complete set would likely make the top five; there just aren't very many available or listed.

The hardest and most expensive (and most rewarding) has been the mint state Barber Half set. I was number three until numbers one and two retired their sets. I am a physician, a pathologist.

Dr. Pete
  • docgdocg Posts: 528 ✭✭
    #3 1932-1998 Washingtons
    Emergency Physician
  • DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Call me eclectic (and I'm mainly a Morgan VAM collector, except I don't have any Registry Sets of those!):

#1 -- Scotland Ryal, Circulation Strikes (1565-1571)
    #2 -- Walking Liberty Half Dollars, Low Ball (1916-1947)
    #3 -- Mexico "Caballito" Peso Complete Variety Set, Circulation Strikes (1910-1914)
    #3 -- Walking Liberty Half Dollars Complete Variety Set, Circulation Strikes (1916-1947)
    #4 -- Everyman Walking Liberty Half Dollars (1916-1947)
    #4 -- Walking Liberty Half Dollars with Major Varieties, Circulation Strikes and Proofs (1916-1947)
    #4 -- Jefferson Nickels Basic Set, Circulation Strikes (1938-1964)

Editor of a dairy farming magazine.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Many of the high end set owners are not going to answer, you would probably have heard of them.

Me - I am the chief geek (founder) at an internet backup company.
    #5 Jefferson War Nickels
    #1 1968 set
    #2 2002 Circulation Strike set
    #1 2006 Circulation Strike set

probably others but I am too lazy to look. image

• MistercoinmanMistercoinman Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭
    I owned three top 5 sets at one time or another.

3 Clad Roosevelt Dimes
    4 Silver Roosevelt Dimes
    1 Capped Bust Dimes with varieties, Only person to 100% complete the capped bust set so far. Many other collectors who never registered there coins could possibly beat my set.

General Manager Commercial Flooring Company
  • illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to have a #1 set, my 1909 Mint Set... but some guy named Eliasberg just registered his set which took over the #1 spot image

I'm an estate planning attorney.

I guess it's cool to see where Eliasberg ranks vs. the current sets, but several of the coins in the Elisaberg registry set weren't even owned by him. Instead PCGS entered in assumed grades for several coins and of course they were just about all top pop coins. sort of hard to compete with coins someone could have bought instead of coins they really had.
  • bosoxbosox Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭✭
    #2 in Victorian cents of Canada
    #1 in Newfoundland cents

working civil engineer plus retired military.
    Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com
  • dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #1 3CN Proofs
    #1 Washington MS '32-'64

Psychologist
  • Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭
    Currently:

#5 Barber Quarters (regular series)
    #4 Classic Head $5 Gold (#3 on NGC board)

I am a manufacturer by profession.