Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Craigslist ad for Mickey mantles

Does this sound like a scam to you. I am thinking counterfeit or the reprint cards from Topps after Mickey mantle died

My late fathers collection of Topps Mickey Mantle cards. Every year from 1956 thru 1969. Fourteen beautiful cards. I know nothing about cards, but these are as new, in plastic sleeves. No creases and corners perfect. I am only selling for a financial hardship/emergency. First $600 cash, by 3pm today. Less than 50 bucks a card. Hard times = hard cash. Only phone #s get a chance. Thanks.
Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars

Comments

• Options
    TonyCTonyC Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭
    I think the 1996 Topps reprint set featured the Topps and Bowman cards from 1951-1955.
    Collecting Tony Conigliaro
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    Danger Will Robinson!! Danger!
  • Options
    72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think the 1996 Topps reprint set featured the Topps and Bowman cards from 1951-1955. >>

They continued the reprint set from 56 to 69 as well I think the next year or in the following series.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Really 600.00 for 14 vintage Mantles?

Go for it!

Good for you.
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Any time you see "Craigslist" and "Mickey Mantle" together, it's not legit.
  • Options
    jimradjimrad Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭
    I picked up a 1960 and 1965 Mantle from craigslist once along with a small box of misc 60's cards
    I sent them to PSA and got a PSA 6 and PSA 5 - it seemed like a real stash of old cards which it turned out to be.
    I was lucky
    Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
    MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<< I know nothing about cards >>>

Everytime I see this I run away so fast I break the sound barrier.
  • Options
    jlzinckjlzinck Posts: 907 ✭✭

<< <i> I know nothing about cards, but these are as new, in plastic sleeves.

No creases and corners perfect.

I am only selling for a financial hardship/emergency. First $600 cash, by 3pm today. Less than 50 bucks a card. Hard times = hard cash. Only phone #s get a chance. Thanks. >>

OK so you know nothing about cards BUT you know enough to talk about creases and corners.

How about 50 cents a card?
  • Options
    72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭
    i also stay away from anything that references a dead father or grandfathers collection. I had to share this ad with everyone because it obviously has some red flags.
  • Options

<< <i>i also stay away from anything that references a dead father or grandfathers collection. >>

Yep, if the cards are legit then why would it matter to a buyer which family member's collection they came from? Far more often than not, they're saying that to give buyers a false sense of security about their reprints/counterfeits.
  • Options
    I stay away from dead grandpa finds and go for the estate finds instead. Is it graded? I don't know... Hank Arron
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Gee ya think the guy would spring for a new top loader.
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>Gee ya think the guy would spring for a new top loader. >>

Why bother?? What is he going to do, protect his fake card better?
  • Options
    MacrosBMacrosB Posts: 524 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I stay away from dead grandpa finds and go for the estate finds instead. Is it graded? I don't know... Hank Arron >>

OK, I am going to show my ignorrance here. Exactly what is that Aron card? Is it a reprint or trimmed etc? Obviously the whole ad write up shows there is an issue but please help out someone that obviously should not be allowed on EBay by himself. Thank-you
    Looking for 66 and 69 OPC baseball
    60's OPC packs
    72 BB, 60's FB, 71FB, 73FB, 74FB, 75FB, 76FB, 78FB Rack Packs
    72 and earlier BB cello
  • Options
    The Aaron rookie card is a fake. You can easily tell just by looking at the color/graphics.
  • Options
    MacrosBMacrosB Posts: 524 ✭✭✭
    I would have assumed from the copy that it was fake and I agree that looking at the picture of Aaron it does not look right. But are people making copies of cards onto card stock now? I would assume in person any of these copies would not feel right.
    Looking for 66 and 69 OPC baseball
    60's OPC packs
    72 BB, 60's FB, 71FB, 73FB, 74FB, 75FB, 76FB, 78FB Rack Packs
    72 and earlier BB cello
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<< I purchased this at an estate auction and do not know if it has been graded or not.

I have no way of knowing if it is authentic. >>>

I wonder what would happen to the polygraph needle if he was taking a polygraph test?
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    I'd hit it.
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'd hit it. >>

What are we talking about here??? image
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I'd hit it. >>

What are we talking about here??? image >>