Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

A couple of new purchases 1921 and 1930 US-PI Centavos

Just finished imaging my latest purchases. Both are Red-Brown, but man oh man what a difference in the amount of Red!

1921 (M) One Centavo - PCGS MS63RB (I'm not sure I care too much for the tabs.)
imageimage

1930 M One Centavo - PCGS MS64RB (I think it must've just missed a full Red designation.)
imageimage

Comments

• Options
    kruegerkrueger Posts: 807 ✭✭✭

For PCGS; 5% red or less equals " BROWN"

5% to 95% red equals "RED-BROWN"

95% or greater red equals "RED"

Leaves alot of room for a red-brown coin.

RB Coins near the higher reddish end have more eye appeal.

I predict at some point down the road these will be worth more ,
    and the color grading will become more parsed with more intermediate percentages given.

Krueger
  • Options
    kruegerkrueger Posts: 807 ✭✭✭

NGC grades color this way:

"Another element in the grading of bronze cents is the amount of mint red color a coin has retained (copper-nickel cents are not distinguished by color, though this can factor into their overall grade). NGC adds to the grade of every copper or bronze coin the suffix BN for "Brown," RB for "Red and Brown," and RD for "Red."

The meaning of these terms is largely self-explanatory, but how and when they're applied is worthy of some comment. BN designates a coin that shows little or no mint red or has a non-red color such as the charming green or blue tones sometimes seen. To be designated RD, a coin must show nearly all of its original color, though this may be mellowed a bit. Those cents which fall between these extremes are labeled RB. While the percentages are subjective to some degree, in actual practice this labeling has proved remarkably consistent."

Similar but without percentages given. Determining percentages of red (when is the red you see determined to be red) is tough.
    I once paid a premium for a red centavo. I thought it was red, the dealer thought it was red . PCGS graded it RB. The dealer was a partime contract grader. Its all opinion. Not everyone sees a coin the same way. I do not now pay premiums for a RED desination on a raw coin.

Krueger