Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Registry Sets - Private?

I am curious as to why registrants go through the trouble of listing their coins in a Registry Set and then don't allow others to see the make-up of their set? Privacy cannot be the issue, if it were why register your coins at all? Insight please?image
What we've got here is failure to communicate.....

Successful BST xactions w/PCcoins, Drunner, Manofcoins, Rampage, docg, Poppee, RobKool, and MichealDixon.

Comments

• Options
    sonoranmonsoonsonoranmonsoon Posts: 2,078 ✭✭
    Privacy is a very important reason for hiding a set, while at the same time still compete in the rankings.
  • Options
    Bankerbob56Bankerbob56 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭
    I understand the privacy issues BUT haven't you already informed the world that you have a valuable collection just by the fact that your set is highly ranked in the registry sets??? By definition a highly ranked set is valuable. Someone wanting to do harm doesn't need the details!

Successful BST xactions w/PCcoins, Drunner, Manofcoins, Rampage, docg, Poppee, RobKool, and MichealDixon.
  • Options
    I think it boils down to keeping private the specific coins that are needed for an upgrade, so that the registrant doesn't get held hostage by the individual who has one of the potential "upgrades".
  • Options
    Bankerbob56Bankerbob56 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭
    Ah-ha! Now that makes sense!

• Options
    CalebCaleb Posts: 739

<< <i>I think it boils down to keeping private the specific coins that are needed for an upgrade, so that the registrant doesn't get held hostage by the individual who has one of the potential "upgrades". >>

This is the biggest reason image
  • Options
    scherscher Posts: 924
    I say show em..but obviously..to each his/her own.
    Over the years i have had so many contacts..because..
    someone with a type set noticed i needed something they had to improve a set..
    good of this much out weighs "held hostage" which has happenned..
    also made some great coin friends..folks that maybe owned a coin i now own..
    or have set the stage to buy or sell at a later date now..
    most of this wouldnt happen 4me i believe with hidden set..
    just sayin.
    Bruce Scher
  • Options
    bestmrbestmr Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭
    I know I have a set that's private but it's me just playing around and haven't decided if I want to continue with it. Other than that, I have all my sets viewable. Not that I have anything exciting lol
    Positive dealing with oilstates2003, rkfish, Scrapman1077, Weather11am, Guitarwes, Twosides2acoin, Hendrixkat, Sevensteps, CarlWohlforth, DLBack, zug, wildjag, tetradrachm, tydye, NotSure, AgBlox, Seemyauction, Stopmotion, Zubie, Fivecents, Musky1011, Bstat1020, Gsa1fan several times, and Mkman123 LOTS of times
  • Options
    SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭
    I have been in the registry from the very beginning...... not once have I received an e-mail from a "strange" dealer/collector trying to sell a coin.

The registry is public.... you should have to show them!

Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!
  • Options
    "I think it boils down to keeping private the specific coins that are needed for an upgrade, so that the registrant doesn't get held hostage by the individual who has one of the potential "upgrades".

Exactly.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Show'em...................or GET OUT!!!!image
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess everyone has their personal stories. But I've had my sets displayed and in detail from day one. And my experience has been the same as Bruce's and Spooly's: I've had good fortune finding coins I've needed by going "public." If someone tries to get me to pay something exorbitant, it's still my call. And truth be told, to get a call from someone who has something I need happens more rarely than you might think.
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    I close a set on rare ocation, but I have hidden mine when I don't want others to know which coins I am after. Sometimes it seems when you are looking for something tough the price goes up.

Now, I'm looking for a 1919 mint state dos peso... Doen anyone have one to offer?

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Sometimes it seems when you are looking for something tough the price goes up. >>

Duh!

Excuse me for being blunt but doesn't "tough" usually equate to a higher price? Otherwise, it wouldn't really be tough now would it?

As for this "hostage" baloney (which is what it really is), nobody is ever held "hostage" over the decision on whether or not to purchase a coin. You either agree with the price, negotiate something different, or move on.

Gimme a break.

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    oops, double post.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I understand the privacy issues BUT haven't you already informed the world that you have a valuable collection just by the fact that your set is highly ranked in the registry sets??? By definition a highly ranked set is valuable. Someone wanting to do harm doesn't need the details! >>

I feel relatively safe publishing mine, because I have taken many precautions to protect it. The valuable coins are in 3 bank safe deposit boxes, and the collection is insured. I also do not use my real name on the set, and my email is not available to other members. Everyone has a different level of risk acceptance. What feels safe for me, may not for others.

The other posters also have a point about sometimes having to pay a significant premium for coins they need to complete a set. I have run into that problem occasionally, but ussually dealers and collectors that are familiar with my sets, that know I need a coin they are selling have generally been fair on their asking price. Also, most of my buying is done on major auction sites, where they do not connect me to my sets. Either way, many of the coins I need now are going to be up there in price, and paying a premium over the PCGS guide for them is getting to be more frequent. It does not seem to matter if it is from another collector, dealer, or major auction house. >>

• Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Sometimes it seems when you are looking for something tough the price goes up. >>

Duh!

Excuse me for being blunt but doesn't "tough" usually equate to a higher price? Otherwise, it wouldn't really be tough now would it?
    >>

I like most people have limits. There is a difference between fair value and premium just because you need a certain date.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Duh!

>>

I like most people have limits. There is a difference between fair value and premium just because you need a certain date. >>

Don't you need ALL the coin dates?

Aren't some more difficult than others?

Don't some command more of a premium than others?

Do folks NOT know how to say "Sorry, not interested at that price"?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭
    I respect those who chose to keep their sets private. At least we know they have PCGS-graded coins and how they measure up against others' sets. I also understand how there are some sellers that would jack up the price on a given coin if they knew the buyer was likely to buy the coin and would pay almost any price to get the coin. By staying private, this allows the buyer to have the ability to buy the coin for less than if he is held ransom.
    Dr. Pete