Home Sports Talk

I have an idea to make extra inning baseball games more interesting.

frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have always thought it would be fun to try to play an entire baseball game like this, but it would really mess up stats. So, I thought, since extra inning baseball games are bonuses anyway, why not apply this just to all extra inning games. I am not sure it would speed it up, but it would sure make an extra inning game MUST SEE TV.

Once a game goes into extra innings, the rules change to this. Each team still gets 3 outs per inning. However, the batter only gets 1 strike or 1 ball. Foul balls would not count just like now when a batter has 2 strikes on him. In other words, 1 strike and you are out, and 1 ball and it is a walk. That way, there are no waste pitches and no trying to nibble at the strike zone. It would be like, "Ok, here it is, now hit it". The batter would not have the luxury of taking pitches he didn't like either.

I didn't get this from anywhere, except my own brain. You may like it or dislike it. I just think it would be a very interesting way to watch an extra inning game.

Shane

Comments

• goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    or start them with a 1-1 count like my son's team has done in fall ball when it gets dark early.
  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Allow selected fans from the stands to bat and pitch.
  • mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭
    That would probably be a new idea for baseball, but there are some 1-pitch softball tournaments.
  • mknezmknez Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭
    Make it like soccer. Play 2 regular extra innings, then do a home run contest. each manager nominates 5 hitters and a pitcher. one pitch per batter, a ball counts as a home run.

------
    stupid print dots

• My idea is, your own team pitches to you. You have only have 1 pitch to hit, foul ball your out. You don't swing at the pitch, your out.
  • mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

<< <i>My idea is, your own team pitches to you. You have only have 1 pitch to hit, foul ball your out. You don't swing at the pitch, your out. >>

Announcer: "...here's the pitch....it's a ground ball to the pitcher...oh, and he throws it over the centerfielder's head! That'll clear the bases!" image
  • frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>My idea is, your own team pitches to you. You have only have 1 pitch to hit, foul ball your out. You don't swing at the pitch, your out. >>

Announcer: "...here's the pitch....it's a ground ball to the pitcher...oh, and he throws it over the centerfielder's head! That'll clear the bases!" image >>

Brilliant! image

Shane

• Pitcher touches the ball, batter is out.
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Rock, paper, scissors. Best two out of three.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>Pitcher touches the ball, batter is out. >>

1. Pitcher, never touching the ball, gets in the way with 3rd baseman trying to filed a bunt ... "oh sorry ... didn't see you there".

OR

2. Batter hits a screaming line drive that hits the pitcher and knocks him out ... sorry batter ... you are out.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Might be a big advantage for the home team, but how about hottest babe/wet T-shirt contest of each teams fans in attendance?image

Joe
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set