Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Can't remember if I ever asked about this 18th century counterstamp

seanqseanq Posts: 8,576 ✭✭✭✭✭
I apologize if I've already asked about this one, it's a British silver coin dated 1787 with some very cool engraving on the obverse.

I was going to ask in the USCF where I normally lurk but I decided to do a quick drive-by here instead. Any information about the coin or the countermark would be greatly appreciated.

Sean Reynolds
Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor

Comments

• Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
    my guess would be a birth or death token for someone with the initials W.T.

(would love to know more but i just dont think it can be done with the limited info the coin gives us)

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    is it counterstamped, or engraved?

edited to add that my guess would be engraved, since the reverse was never affected by any sort of counterstamping.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    RobPRobP Posts: 483 ✭✭
    It is a sixpence with hearts in the Hanoverian shield (at 9pm). Very common, and in that grade probably worth more to a collector of countermarks. WT could mean anything, personal or business initials, but leaning towards the former. The date will obviously be meaningful to WT, but you are unlikely to establish any meaning.
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    cool piece of History. What a story it could tell.image