Home Precious Metals
Options

What is your sell plan?

SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭
What is your long term sell plan? Some people are way to emotional about silver and gold. I treat gold and sliver as a investment and every investment should have a sell plan.

Short term I trade options and bullion based on charts. (Price and volume, over bought and over sold) ( I watch the dollar)

Long term I will sell every ounce of silver/gold I have if the silver to gold ratio ever hits 18 to 1 or if I see a death cross coming on the charts.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!

Comments

• Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    gold over 2500
    silver over 100

probably... it depends on the speed and circumstances of the rise.
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<gold over 2500, silver over 100>>

Would it become difficult to sell at these levels?
    Everybody and their brothers, sisters, cousins, daughters, boyfriend will be selling, no?
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i><<gold over 2500, silver over 100>>

Would it become difficult to sell at these levels?
    Everybody and their brothers, sisters, cousins, daughters, boyfriend will be selling, no? >>

Probably the exact opposite. Everybody will be buying. When buying becomes the fad and everybody is doing it because silver and gold has had tremendous gains, then it is time to sell. Just look at the real estate market. Everybody was buying real estate with borrowed money because they could sell two years later and make $100,000.
    > [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&amp;_in_kw=1&amp;_ex_kw=&amp;_sacat=0&amp;_udlo=&amp;_udhi=&amp;_ftrt=901&amp;_ftrv=1&amp;_sabdlo=&amp;_sabdhi=&amp;_samilow=&amp;_samihi=&amp;_sadis=15&amp;_stpos=61611&amp;_sargn=-1&saslc=1&amp;_salic=1&amp;_fss=1&amp;_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&amp;_saslop=1&amp;_sasl=mygirlsthree3&amp;_sop=12&amp;_dmd=1&amp;_ipg=50&amp;_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As long as PMs remain in a bull trend I have no plan to sell. PMs are my savings and retirement accounts. When I need cash I sell a little metal.

I do however plan to liquidate all metals if and when the Dow to Gold ratio hits 1:1. This is historically the end of the bull market in metals and the beginning of a bull market in equities.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't need the money so why sell?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭
    derryb,

That is a good one "Dow to Gold ratio hits 1:1", I'm going to add that to my trigger points.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sell all PM's when one ounce of gold equals the Dow Jones.

Why would the gold-silver ratio influence your selling decision?
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At some point, I'll start moving gradually into cash if the fundamentals point in that direction. But to even think about that now is not wise, in my opinion. The show isn't even started. cohodk may differ in his opinion.image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would to God the US economy stabilized. And I have confidence it will some day, but only after a significant shake-out to acclimate to the exigencies of globalization and the attendant global adjustment to the impact of (relative) free markets.

It probably is a bit much to ask of mere mortals to take the political heat to legislate such adjustments. Consequently, we are more likely to have the adjustment imposed by exigency and pain. During that period, I anticipate PMs to be a refuge.

When we come out on the other side--and we will--I'll be back in cash.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Sell all PM's when one ounce of gold equals the Dow Jones.

Why would the gold-silver ratio influence your selling decision? >>

Dow to gold ratio would influence my decision. It dictates (near 1:1) when gold has peaked and equities have bottomed:

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>At some point, I'll start moving gradually into cash if the fundamentals point in that direction. But to even think about that now is not wise, in my opinion. The show isn't even started. cohodk may differ in his opinion.image >>

Nope dont think differently, other than that I think the show has been running for awhile.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Sell all PM's when one ounce of gold equals the Dow Jones.

Why would the gold-silver ratio influence your selling decision? >>

Dow to gold ratio would influence my decision. It dictates (near 1:1) when gold has peaked and equities have bottomed:

image >>

How do they contrive a DOW/Gold chart going back to 1800 when the Dow Jones Average wasnt even created until 1896?

I dont know if I would necessarily wait for a 1:1 ratio, but 3:1 is possible. Maybe next week? image Nah, probably not.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When MJ tells me to!

He wisely suggested taking some profit off table during the last rise in silver as it teased at the $50 level.

And when RoadRunner sees a top in Gold. He is Sinclair's alter.

Miles
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    I buy and sell GLD and SLV with price movements. But as far as my physical gold the sell plan is up to my heirs, althouhg it would be pretty tempting if it got to $2500 or so.
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I'm lucky and wind up having any kids they'll get pirate chests when I'm dead. Otherwise in 25-30+ years I'll sell bits here and there as a retirement supplement.
  • Options
    nibannynibanny Posts: 2,761
    I only sell when I need cash. To me PMs are part of a saving account and part of an hobby.
    I have been lucky so far I could make some money out of it.
    Unfortunately I don't make enough money to buy and hold for 20/30 years. I need to play with the highs and lows but I try to have my "collection" growing steadly like my dad did.
    The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Since I know I'll never be able to pick the top, as silver and gold rise, I sell off portions of my holdings. If silver returns to $45/oz I'll sell some more, but I'm happy got rid of all my bars and some really junky junk silver, when silver was above $40/oz.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    fiveNdimefiveNdime Posts: 1,088 ✭✭
    50% of my bullion silver will be sold >$$55. the rest saved for >$$100
    duplicates/culls were sold (several upgrades) in march, april & may.

the silver coinage, when my son is ready for college.
    unless the scholarship covers it! then its more retirement toys for me!
    BST transactions: guitarwes; glmmcowan; coiny; nibanny; messydesk
  • Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭
    I'm still young (< 30) and plan on holding for quite a while. The Dow:Gold ratio is a good one to track IMO, I've seen that chart before and it's a very interesting one.

I'll be keeping my ears open for when people's tune changes from "gold is in a bubble!" to "gold is where it's at!". At this time I will be quickly looking for the exit. The real bubble will come when the public no longer thinks it's in a bubble.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    I've programmed my mind to think there will be a SHTF day. So I'm never gonna sell. image
  • Options
    I'll sell when the government gets it's financial house in order.

• Options

<< <i>I'll sell when the government gets it's financial house in order. >>

Are pigs learning to fly?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I'll sell when the government gets it's financial house in order. >>

Are pigs learning to fly? >>

Not now or in the near future. That was the point I was trying to make.image

• Options
    66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭
    I'm selling a mere 6oz and getting a 9KW grid tie 20 year fully warrantied solar array to cut my power usage by 85% forever and almost kill that peak demand penalty. If gold dips over next decade I'm still saving $$$$ yearly. I feel I made enough on that $465/oz yellow stuff, time to make it work. btw, that guv program maybe cut before they say and I'm not waiting around to find out.
    Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,526 ✭✭✭✭✭
    silver over 100, gold i dont know yet. im stuck on that one right now