Home Precious Metals
Options

Mark Twain Project...Gold

To the Editors of the Evening Post:

I have just seen your despatch from San Francisco, in Saturday’s Evening Post, about “Gold in Solution” in the Calistoga Springs, [&] about the proprietor’s having “extracted $1,060 in gold of the utmost fineness from ten barrels of the water” during the past fortnight, by a process known only to himself. This will surprise many of your readers, but it does not surprise me, for I once owned those springs myself. What does surprise me, however, is the falling off in the richness of the water. In my time the yield was a dollar a dipperful. I am not saying this to injure the property, in case a sale is contemplated; I am only saying it in the interest of history. It may be that this hotel proprietor’s process is an inferior one—yes, that may be the fault. Mine was to take my uncle—I had an extra uncle at that time, on account of his parents dying [&] leaving him on my hands—[&] fill him up, [&] let him stand fifteen minutes to give the water a chance to settle well, then insert him in an exhausted receiver, which had the effect of sucking the gold out through his pores. I have taken more than eleven thousand dollars out of that old man in a day [&] a half. I should have held on to those springs but for the badness of the roads [&] the difficulty of getting the gold to market.

I consider that gold-yielding water in many respects remarkable; [&] yet not more remarkable than the gold bearing air of Catgut Cañon, up there toward the head of the auriferous range. This air—or the wind—for it is a kind of a trade wind which blows steadily down through six hundred miles of rich quartz croppings during an hour [&] a quarter every day except Sundays, is heavily charged with exquisitely fine [&] impalpable gold. Nothing precipitates [&] solidifies this gold so readily as contact with human flesh heated by passion. The time that William Abrahams was disappointed in love, he used to step out doors when that wind was blowing, [&] come in again [&] begin to sigh, [&] his brother Andover J. would extract over a dollar [&] a half out of every sigh he sighed, right along. And the time that John Harbison [&] Aleck Norton quarrelled about Harbison’s dog, they stood there swearing at each other all they knew how—[&] what they didn’t know about swearing they couldn’t learn from you [&] me, not by a good deal—[&] at the end of every three or four minutes they had to stop [&] make a dividend—if they didn’t their jaws would clog up so that they couldn’t get the big nine syllabled ones out at all—[&] when the wind was done blowing they cleaned up just a little over sixteen hundred dollars apiece. I know these facts to be absolutely true, because I got them from a man whose mother I knew personally. I do not suppose a person could buy a water privilege at Calistoga now at any price; but several good locations along the course of the Catgut Cañon Gold-Bearing Trade-Wind are for sale. They are going to be stocked for the New York market. They will sell, too; the people will swarm for them as thick as Hank veterans—in the South.

[Mark Twain].

Hartford, Conn., September 14, 1880.
Successful transactions with: DCarr, Meltdown, Notwilight, Loki, MMR, Musky1011, cohodk, claychaser, cheezhed, guitarwes, Hayden, USMoneyLover

Proud recipient of two "You Suck" awards

Comments

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great stuff, classic Mark Twain.image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That guy sure could tell a yarn!

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thats Cool, every day except Sundaysimage

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    TIPPAHNUMTIPPAHNUM Posts: 79 ✭✭✭

These words,all quotes by the brilliant Mark Twain, make me think:

The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them.

The right word may be effective, but no word was ever as effective as a rightly timed pause.

Thunder is good, thunder is impressive; but it is lightning that does the work.

What a wee little part of a person's life are his acts and his words! His real life is led in his head, and is known to none but himself.

Words are only painted fire; a look is the fire itself.

Sometimes too much to drink is barely enough.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.

If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.

It is easier to stay out than get out.

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone, you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.

Climate is what we expect, weather is what we get.

Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"having money's not everything and not having it is."

-Kanye West