Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Need some help with some Mexican Pesos

I have had these two coins for quite awhile and they are just collecting dust so it's time to sell them. The problem is that I know even less about foreign coins than I do US coins (and that's saying something LOL). Can I get some help valuating/grading them so I know what to ask for them? They appear to be in decent condition. Are they worth any more than silver melt? Thanks in advance for any help you can give me. Sorry for the crappy pictures.
imageimage
imageimage
Chris
My small collection
Want List:
'61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
Cardinal T206 cards
Adam Wainwright GU Jersey

Comments

• Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As bullion, they melt around $15 each. The 25 is not high enough grade to sell for more than that. The 20 shows a variety in the book, a 20/10 overdate. I have never seen one, so I don't know if yours is one or not. If yours is not the overdate, it is bullion only. IMO.
  • Options
    cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257
    Thanks! That's exactly what I was looking for! image
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>As bullion, they melt around $15 each. The 25 is not high enough grade to sell for more than that. The 20 shows a variety in the book, a 20/10 overdate. I have never seen one, so I don't know if yours is one or not. If yours is not the overdate, it is bullion only. IMO. >>

What would the premium on UNC pieces be? I think I have 5-6 laying around dated 1925-1940 in what looks like strong UNC (63-64).
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think they have to be very high grade 65 and higher

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is one of my favorite coins because it stars in the 1948 film
    "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre".

Early in the film, Fred C. Dobbs (Humphrey Bogart) is panhandling with the line:
    "Say, mister. Will you stake a fellow American to a meal?"

An American wearing a white suit gives him a silver peso which is shown in Bogart's hand

See my website below for details, "Coins in Movies".

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These are called 720 Pesos. That is because they are 0.720 fine silver (fineness is indicated by the 0.720 over the eagle). Since they weigh 16 2/3g each, that means they have about 0.3858 Troy oz. of silver (ASW).

Both 1920 and 1925 are slightly better dates, but finding a buyer at anything over melt unless they are UNC will be hard. And, as HoledandCreative mentioned, there is that 1920/10 overdate to look out for. The overdate might command a small premium in grades below UNC.

Unfortunately, the 20th Century Mexican market is pretty much dead right now. Even the keys. About the only thing doing well in the series are condition rarities.