Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

2011 Awards - Canadian Registry

Every year I am a bit disappointed, that PCGS continues to neglect to honor some of the best Canadian sets in the Registry. They seem to have the opinion that if they haven't honored it in the past year or two, it can't be worth honoring this year either. So, without any further adieu, here's the sets I would like to honor this year in my inaugural 2011 Awards for the best neglected Canadian sets in the PCGS Registry...
1. Willamette Collection of Canadian Victorian cents. A truly outstanding set, featuring many of the finest known cents.
2. EGB Collection of Canadian gold coins, including some stunning rarities, such as the impossibly rare 1916C Sovereign.
3. North Woods Collection of 5¢ 1911-1921, including the 1921 in an almost unheard of, and extremely valuable ms65.

I know that there are plenty of other top sets out there, and if I remember, I'll honor a few others next year. Rest assured, that unlike PCGS, some of your fellow collectors understand that there are more sets out there than the ones they honor year after year after year. Some of you might argue that some of these sets are ineligible because they are now closed, but on the day of the deadline, all of these sets were open to viewing.

As an aside, if anyone from PCGS reads this, please note the error in the description of Lantern Collection complete set, because you say "We’ve honored this set seven years in a row. A walk through this set is a journey through some of the most amazing Canadian coins ever assembled. Previous owners of some of the coins include Norweb, Pittman and Belzberg, all famous names in the Canadian market." The reality is that it has been honored 7 of the past 8 years, including 5 years straight (not 7).

Disclaimer: I do not own any of the above sets.

Comments

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are 3 1921 5c graded higher than MS65. I would love to see those.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not think awards add to the Registry or what its real purpose should be.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

<< <i>There are 3 1921 5c graded higher than MS65. I would love to see those. >>

you're right. I've seen them all. The 1921 in ms 67 was featured in the Heritage auction in New York in early 2010. I understand that it recently resold for $140,000.00. The rarity of this coin in high mintstate is exceptional in my opinion.
  • Options

<< <i>I do not think awards add to the Registry or what its real purpose should be. >>

My argument would be that if PCGS chooses to give out "awards" for the best of the registry, then they should at least consider some of the other exceptional sets out there. My guess is that they focus their efforts on the US registry, and then essentially give out the Canadian awards as an after-thought. This does a disservice to the whole idea of the registry. My guess is that it is not malice, rather it is neglect. This would also explain why they've made errors in the Canadian portion of the awards 2 years in a row. (Last year, they linked to the wrong set from the awards page until I sent them an email notifying them of the error). In no way am I minimizing the massive accumulation of coins in the Lantern collection which receives virtually all of the attention from PCGS...but to consider it the top Canadian set each year for almost the last decade is a bit unbelievable.
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree, there are quite a number of competitive Canadian registry sets that get the cold shoulder year over year. I hope the owners don't get discouraged, because I, for one, appreciate their efforts and enjoy looking at their coins.
  • Options

<< <i>I agree, there are quite a number of competitive Canadian registry sets that get the cold shoulder year over year. I hope the owners don't get discouraged, because I, for one, appreciate their efforts and enjoy looking at their coins. >>

thanks. I'm glad it's not only me who feels this way. If these snubbed collectors got irritated, and then refused to list their coins, it would result in less enjoyment for the rest of us imo.