Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

As Promised: 1971 and 1987 Allstate Display

After over five years trying to complete these two sets, I can say "Mission Accomplished". All the cards came from the artist who designed them for Allstate Insurance Company. Ray Lending was kind enough to autograph and send me one of the cards from his personal collection. The cards are in alphabetical order starting with the 1971 set and the final card is the one from Rays' collection. The frame is based off the actual size of a MLB home plate and enlarged in equal ratio. Sorry for the fuzzy pictures of the frame, but my professional camera is already packed for my move back to the states and had to use my iPod camera.

The Frame

The 1971's
imageimageimageimage

Front and Back of 1971 Autographed Williams from Ray Lending
imageimage

The 1987's
imageimageimageimage
imageimage

"A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).

Comments

• pdub1819pdub1819 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭
    Are you willing to part with the Lou Gherig?
  • YogiBerraFanYogiBerraFan Posts: 2,390 ✭✭
    Neat stuff, never seen some of those before.
  • TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It never fails - before too much time passes, I read about something on this board that I never knew existed before. In this case, that would be the Allstate cards. How I managed to not hear about the 1987s - when I was heavily involved in collecting - I'll never know. Those are nice looking cards, though Dimaggio's face looks kinda weird in his.

Tabe

• << <i> Those are nice looking cards, though Dimaggio's face looks kinda weird in his. >>

Kinda has a Michael Meyers look going on.
  • lbcoach20lbcoach20 Posts: 868 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i> Those are nice looking cards, though Dimaggio's face looks kinda weird in his. >>

Kinda has a Michael Meyers look going on. >>

That's funny!~
  • divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for showing the scans...image

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    image That is great that you got those 1971 and 1987 Allstate Insurance cards directly from Ray Lending and he included that Ted Willliams color version as well and signed it.

Those will definitely look good in your PC. Enjoy!!!
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    Thanks for the kind words. Ray is a fantastic gentleman. Now I can take those two sets off my "sets to complete" and start thinking about something else odd ball. Any suggestions????

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
    pdub1819, sorry but the Gehrig is part of my PC. I have another one raw, but it is slightly MC.

Tabe, I think Joe is thinking one of two things in the picture. 1) How far is that ball going to travel or 2) I wonder what and where Marilyn is doing right about now.

PM returned

I am looking for the Gehrig that is graded higher, if anyone knows who might have it.

James