Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

1827 Argentina 5/10 Real... double struck or other?

I got an intriguing email this morning about a coin labeled by NGC as a double-struck error. Since I'm out of town, I don't have any way to look anything up, but I thought someone here might be able to help out. Here's the email and the coin:

"Sorry to bother you, but I think the NGC label is incorrect. I'm not an expert on this specific series, but I believe these were originally and purposely overstuck on another type of coin. Therefore, this coin would only be declaired a 20% off center error coin. If it were an actual double struck "error" the underlying design,(or the original strike,) would not have the branches on both sides of the coin. Thanks for your time, "

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research

Comments

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a "flip-over double strike". The label should have been clearer.

Flip-over double strikes are generally more desirable than double strikes, so I wouldn't feel the need to warn anyone about this. Besides, it should be self-evident.

EDITED TO SAY THAT I'M NOT SO SURE THE WREATHS ARE THE SAME, SO I'M GOING BACK TO THE DRAWING BOARD.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    It is not double struck. That much is certain.

Struck off center on host?
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It is not double struck. That much is certain.

Struck off center on host? >>

Looking at the images, I would have to agree. It would help to know what the host is, but it appears the design is too different to be the double strike.
  • Options
    OK, I was wrong. It's not a FODS. It's struck off-center on an 1822-23 1/10 Real.
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The wreath also got me. The one on the periphery of both sides certainly differs from that of the 5/10 Real (the reverse, where they're next to each other, makes that obvious). However, looking at the obverse of the 5/10 Real, there is also a wreath visible below the word BANCO, which seems to better match that of the 5/10 Real design, though I'm not 100% positive. That would seem to indicate that the coin is a flip-over double strike of the 5/10 Real on top of a host coin. The host coin could have a wreath on both sides, or, for all we know, have been double-struck itself.
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    The host coin could have a wreath on both sides

It does.
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    Krause note:

National Bank 5/10 reales are frequently struck over Soho decimos of 1822-23
    I'm not afraid to die
    I'm afraid to be alive without being aware of it

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like that coin....
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i just bought a ngc ms 64 rb at the st louis show

it is not the double struck mint error as shown on the slab and therefore not the same coin
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>i just bought a ngc ms 64 rb at the st louis show

it is not the double struck mint error as shown on the slab and therefore not the same coin >>

bidask, I'd love to see a photo of your newp. You always get nice coins!