Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Success crossing over SGC 98 to PSA 10

I was curious if anyone has had good luck with this? There's a couple SGC 98's that I was thinking of submitting to PSA trying to get 10's. The cards are modern basketball cards from the 80's and 90's. I know nothing in life is guaranteed but I just wondered if anyone else had had success doing this. It seems like they should get a 10 but you never know.

Thanks in advance.

Bernie Kosar collector

Comments

• Options
    I crossed a sgc 98 and it came back a 9. I think it was due to top/bottom centering.
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    I was wondering the same thing recently. I've got some SGC 98 and BGS 9.5 that I need to cross. The old axiom of SGC and centering was, I think, corrected a long time ago. That being said, if you have older SGC slabs...it is true that they didn't have the same centering standards as a PSA10 would have. However, I think those differences have worked themselves out over the past few years and SGC enthusiasts claim the 98s now have the same centering standards as a PSA10.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm 0 for 1 so far. Modern is different than vintage and my card was vintage. I submitted it with a min grade of 10 and they wouldn't cross it. I'm sure they're very stingy with vintage 10 cross overs since they rarely dole those out.
  • Options
    r00kies101r00kies101 Posts: 263 ✭✭
    Does anyone know if they would do a grade with the card still in the other company's holder? I vaguely remember them doing this in the past. I wouldn't mind paying for this service at a show.
  • Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭

<< <i>Does anyone know if they would do a grade with the card still in the other company's holder? I vaguely remember them doing this in the past. I wouldn't mind paying for this service at a show. >>

Yes, that is a crossover. Same cost as a submission.

A crossover, is when you leave it in the other company's holder. If you crack it out first....it's a normal submission.

Clear Skies,
    Mark
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    r00kies101r00kies101 Posts: 263 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Does anyone know if they would do a grade with the card still in the other company's holder? I vaguely remember them doing this in the past. I wouldn't mind paying for this service at a show. >>

Yes, that is a crossover. Same cost as a submission.

A crossover, is when you leave it in the other company's holder. If you crack it out first....it's a normal submission.

Clear Skies,
    Mark >>

I see...thanks for the explanation.
  • Options
    JasonM32JasonM32 Posts: 170 ✭✭
    Thanks for the input so far guys

Bernie Kosar collector

• Options
    macboubemacboube Posts: 336 ✭✭
    Your chances of a same grade cross are less than 10% IMO when trying to cross SGC to PSA. That % is based on my well over 100 attempts with mostly Topps cards from the 50's and 60's. Several cards were of high quality, some from the Stuckemeyer Collection. (He had one of the top SGC collections known to man). Can U spell C R A C K O U T ???
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Your chances of a same grade cross are less than 10% IMO when trying to cross SGC to PSA. That % is based on my well over 100 attempts with mostly Topps cards from the 50's and 60's. Several cards were of high quality, some from the Stuckemeyer Collection. (He had one of the top SGC collections known to man). Can U spell C R A C K O U T ??? >>

10% success rate for crossing over 10s or for all grades?
  • Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭
    I have never had an SGC 98 cross over to a PSA 10. I have probably tried this 4 or 5 times. Small sample but I am not too optimistic about the potential here.

Edited to add....I cracked out the cards each time.
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    I've tried once and succeeded. This card used to be SGC 98. I cracked it out first.

My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    I've had a 25% crossover success of SGC to PSA. Although my sample size was small, only 20 cards several years ago, and before the half grade roll out. Nothing got bumped up either. Just 96's to PSA 9's, and a couple of 88's to PSA 8's. All of these were '69 and '70 Basketball tallboy cards for what it's worth.
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    I would take the gamble.I have had sucess with lower SGC coming back higher.Basicall its a hit/miss issue.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)