Home Precious Metals
Options

Poll question: So how you doin so far this year?

A poll to see where everyone is at with their investments this year to date. Include your PM status, 401k, IRA(s) or whatever...basically what percentage are you up/down this year from Jan. 1.

Feel free to comment with advice what to stay away from and/or take a look at.
To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.

Comments

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't really say with those answers as I'm continually adding to my stack and that's all I'm doing. No paper. I'd rather have some fluctation either way with my stack than the 0.01% my cash is earning at the bank.

If I had to stab a guess I'm probably down a couple ticks this year since I'm in the overpriced 2010 P pucks with 1 more to go, so I hit 0-5 down.
  • Options
    chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭
    considering that I died in 2008,have to say I,m doing quite well
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    The stock market she be very very good to me.

I've gotten in and out of SLV 3 times this year so far, buy on weakness and sell into strength and I've made the most (percentage wise)on it. Generally buying around 33-34 and selling when it gets in the 37-39 range. Gold I just buy and hold physical so it's been ok so far, stocks have been excellent up to now. I have a bunch of long term holds that I bought when the market tanked in late 2008/early 2009, GE @ 8, Chevron @ 64, Dominion @ 34 etc., these I am holding because the dividend yield on my purchase price is now so high I don't know what else I would replace them with. I would guess about 60% of my total investments are now tied up in these 6 or 7 long term dividend stocks.

Stocks I am prepared to trade in and out of starting in late 2010/ early 2011 include Intel @ average $19 (now 23.13), I bought MSFT in Sept. 2010 and June 2011 @ average of 24 (now 27.53), I went in to CSCO last month when it got down to 15.35 (now 16.46). CSCO seems like a risk stock but I have to believe it's worth more than that over a medium term holding period, only time will tell of course.

I've been trading QQQ and IWM several times starting last September and they have been doing well, I never quite call the bottom, and never quite call the top on any of these. Just take a reasonable profit and don't get greedy.
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    My 401k says +15.8% ytd and I've been doing pretty well buying and selling physical pm's & 90%, at least another 7-8% doing that. Done a few trades of SLV in the market with another account and i'm actually down 4.2% on that. So all total right around 18% up ytd. Sure would like it to be better, but can't complain.
    Like anything else, it's all timing and the nerve to pull the trigger and knowing when to cut bait and not let your pride get in the way.
  • Options
    I never quite call the bottom, and never quite call the top on any of these. Just take a reasonable profit and don't get greedy.

I once had an old timer tell me that, "if you can get 60% of the 100% bottom to top (or vice versa if playing Puts) move, you're doing well enough, don't get greedy 'cause it can spin on a dime on you."
    Words i've lived by since.
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not good just got layed off Thursday, the 21st.
    I wonder if I'll even qualify for UE?
    Billions in the hole, planning for the worst.
    Still keeping my head up though, no sense in getting
    depressed about it, something will come along image
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Morgan----best wishes and positive thoughts your way. I'm always on the edge employement wise so I hear you loud and clear. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    So with 48 votes in so far, good to hear that 87% of those who voted (hopefully honestly) have made at least some $ this year, even if it is of the 401k or IRA type, which isn't real til it's cashed out image

As for those who haven't, keep adding to the PM pile...heck, even if you have made $, keep adding to the PM pile.
  • Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭✭
    My pm status is next to nothing, but I acquired a handsome sum at $34 and ounce a little while ago so I am doing OK. My 401k is a little over a 5% gain the first two quarters this year. I am still a small fry in that as well being a bit young, but I am as aggressive as I can be right now.