Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Canadian Red Book?

Some friends recently, when I told of my newfound interest in Canadian sovereigns, suggested to me that I buy a coin guide similar to the U.S. Guide Book / Red Book. They quoted the author's name but I can't recall it. Anybody familiar with such a book and/or have an opinion on its usefulness? Thanks in advance ... Best Regards, George
VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.

Comments

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    there is a book - Charlton

It is worth the money if you are serious about Canadian- helps with varieties

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>there is a book - Charlton

It is worth the money if you are serious about Canadian- helps with varieties >>

Thanks coinkat. I am familiar with Charlton, though, that wasn't the name I recall. Yes that is a useful book. Picker? Miller?
    VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options
    sylsyl Posts: 906 ✭✭✭
    In additon to Charlton, there is also the Haxby guide. Both are published annually. For more up-to-date retail prices, there is the "Trends" insert into the biweekly Canadian Coin News. There is circulating coinage in every edition, but there are NCLT, Paper, and Modern/special issues on a rotating basis. The Canadian Coin News is an excellent publication, well worth the subscription price alone, not withstanding the Trends in every issue.
  • Options
    olmanjonolmanjon Posts: 1,187
    I love Trends. To bad the prices are not more realistic for what you have to pay or receive for your Canadian coins.
    Olmanjon
    Proud recipiant of the Lord M "you suck award-March-2008"
    http://bit.ly/bxi7py
  • Options
    sylsyl Posts: 906 ✭✭✭
    Yes, except for really scarce coins that are not recognized for how scarce they are (grade or variety), then you should pay no more than 70% of ttrends. For some really out-of-this world coins, then well more than Trends is possible at auction. I shoot for around 50-60% when buying and the very very few that I evn try to sell are at 70-80%.