Home PSA Set Registry Forum

I'm done buying raw cards on Ebay

Please forgive the frank nature of this post but...............

If you buy a raw card on Ebay. This is what will happen. You will see a listing claiming that someone is breaking a set. You will see a picture of a mint card that is well centered. You will read a description that says "centered". You will also see a bunch of nonsensical meaningless words used to describe the card like "BLAZER" and "SCREAMER". You will be told that the card is a"MUST HAVE". You decide to buy the card. You will over pay for shipping and eventually receive a completely different card that is poorly centered. It doesn't blaze, it doesn't scream. It sucks. It is a card that you would never have purchased if either the picture or the description had been accurate.

You see what's happened here is that the seller has either used someone elses picture of a mint card or he has taken a picture of his mint card and sent you one of his many blemished versions of the same card and kept the nice one for himself. He is counting on the fact that since this card is somewhat inexpensive that you will not go to the time or expense to return it.

To all of those who do this (and you know who you are), your card sucks and you suck!

Bernie Kosar collector

Comments

• MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the grin and chuckle!! Well said imageimage

I ditto the "your card sucks and you suck".
  • Scottiec2288Scottiec2288 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭
    I hear you, i bought a 64 rose about 2 months ago sent it in psa and came back trimmed!!!
  • JasonM32JasonM32 Posts: 170 ✭✭
    I'm glad you guys got a laugh. It was done partially out of frustration and partially for comedic value. I'm sure a lot of folks have been through it. If I see the words blazer or screamer in another listing my head is going to explode. It's just a personal pet peeve of mine.

Bernie Kosar collector

• LOL, I'm assuming you bought one of Battlefield's "breath-taking" NM cards that seem to always come back a PSA 4.
  • bxbbxb Posts: 805 ✭✭
    Most, if not all, raw cards on eBay are overgraded and/or have unstated problems, in my experience.

This problem was much more prevalent prior to the major grading services.

Capecards
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with the OP. I have a beautiful Blyleven rookie I got a year or so ago, when I finally looked at it under a loupe.........recolored cornerimage

Oh well, now I stick with PSA.

Joe
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    @ etc.

I'll buy raw ex cards all day long. Nothing high dollar of course.

Good for you.
  • NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    There is a guide to deciphering ebay sellers' statements. If he says the card is a blazer, he means that it was heated by secondhand tobacco smoke. If he says the card is a screamer, he means that it screamed in pain when he trimmed it.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.

<< <i>There is a guide to deciphering ebay sellers' statements. If he says the card is a blazer, he means that it was heated by secondhand tobacco smoke. If he says the card is a screamer, he means that it screamed in pain when he trimmed it.

Nick >>

lol

Bernie Kosar collector

• milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭
    I also would never buy a card from someone that has to use terms like BLAZER, SCREAMER, PERFERCT.........I always let the scan be my description. If the scan is not good enough, I ask for another. If I don't get one, I don't bid. I sometimes ask if the scan is the actual card. If I get no answer, I don't bid.

And yes, sellers like that are scum. Hit them with a neg after your refund.
    Bob
    ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net
  • fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    Man I agree 100%.There is only a handful at best that I will buy raw from.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • I operate under the assumption that if a vintage card is worth having graded it would already be in a PSA, SGC or BVG slab.
  • otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I operate under the assumption that if a vintage card is worth having graded it would already be in a PSA, SGC or BVG slab. >>

A logical assumption and one that oft times may be correct. However, there is a bevy of sellers that do not grade their cards and/or do not know the value of some higher grade, lower pop commons/minor stars. There are raw bargains to be had and those that automatically pass on them make it easier for others to buy them at a discount.
    Exactly.

I've always been cautious in what I buy raw looking for those gems but it's tough. There are a lot of people going to great lengths to disguise their crappy ex-nrmt cards as mint. Even when I ask questions and look at scans I always end up getting burned. I would rather go to card shows and inspect the cards in person but there just aren't any good ones in AZ.

Bernie Kosar collector

• cougar701cougar701 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭
    There are some legit sellers on ebay of RAW cards, but it will take you time to get to know who is accurate and who is not and off by how much.

Grading prices, expenses in shipping/insurance and handling time often keep sellers from having them graded just for resale...

It is definitely not advantagous in many cases to grade a true NM to NM-MT 1969 Topps Joe Niekro if you have thousands of positive feedback at 100% and are known to be an honest seller. Great card for filling in high grade sets, but dunno you can guarantee you will always recover your expenses plus a profit versus just selling it as is with NM in the title and get a few bucks per card. Afterall they prolly got it for .25 or less to begin with and will be flipping right away.

• WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    Honestly I remember saying to myself like 10 years ago that it was a waste of time looking for good stuff to grade. Between the massive amount of altered cards and getting screwed on Ebay consistently, it's a losing proposition. I can't imagine what it's like nowadays. Sure you may get lucky now and then on accident, but you be far ahead by getting a second job rather than searching for PSA 8+ vintage anymore.
  • olb31olb31 Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I operate under the assumption that if a vintage card is worth having graded it would already be in a PSA, SGC or BVG slab. >>

A logical assumption and one that oft times may be correct. However, there is a bevy of sellers that do not grade their cards and/or do not know the value of some higher grade, lower pop commons/minor stars. There are raw bargains to be had and those that automatically pass on them make it easier for others to buy them at a discount. >>

i have bought many bgs 9.5's and some psa 10's from ebay and in fact it is more fun than going to show a lot of times. but, i do understand the frustration. buying high demand vintage cards such as mantle and rose does involve risk. i have purchased a psa 7 mantle raw and have purchased completely fake elway's and mantles. hang in there.image
    Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    cougar, i like your example.....that '69 Topps Joe Niekro is a tough card and would command a premium in a graded MINT 9 holder.....it's on my "seek and destroy" list every day.

as for finding great raw cards on eBay, i can vouch for any and all sides from recent experiences......

YES, there are dealers who over-hype and there are dealers who scuttle the truth, but there are also plenty of cards to be bought if you are willing to put in the effort to find them.

my attitude is this: i wish the best to all my fellow collectors and without the communal nature of the hobby it's no fun anyways.

but to anyone who shys away from it, that's ok too.....just one less person for me to battle with. image
  • fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    I have gotten to the point that the only guy I will buy an expensive raw card from is Mike Wheat.I will buy commons from a dealer with great feedback.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)