Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Philippine 1917-S one centavo with small closed 9-Variety or not?

rec78rec78 Posts: 5,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
Hello there, i have this 1917-S Philippine one centavo coin with a small closed 9. (see picture below) Is this some kind of worthwhile variety or just a common coin? All comments welcome--thanks, Bob

imageimage

Comments

• Options
    It looks like a die chip. But, it almost also looks like doubling. I might also see some doubling in the lower area of the top opening of the 9, and also on the bottom right of the first 1. Either way, probably not worth much more than it was before you noticed this. Interesting nonetheless.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    kruegerkrueger Posts: 807 ✭✭✭

Interesting variety. The 1903 half centavo comes the same way at times both the 9 and the bottom loop of the 3 are closed.

At this time neither would generate any excitement or cause a value increase. It would do better if listed in a reference book. Sometimes one has to politic/ publicize/ gain backers to make that happen. I do not recall seeing another one like this though. There are at least another hundred unpulicized philippine varieties like this one.

Krueger
  • Options
    I wouldn't say it's common, but as krueger has already suggested, unless it's listed in some reference book, it's unlikely to generate too much of a premium.

Something worth noting are the varieties currently attributed, which are those that have been designated by Lyman Allen. Since he has basically retired from the field a couple years ago, who is likely to take the job and run with it in the future? I've suggested to Ray Czahor that he take on the task, but he didn't seem too enthusiastic over the idea.

So even if you can generate a decent level of interest, it's not going to go anywhere unless someone of note publicizes the variety, or if a TPG decides to recognize the variety on its own. Regarding the latter, I don't think either PCGS or those across the street are likely to take the lead. A third TPG of note just might though.

With little invested, there would be little harm in keeping it.