Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Pair of 20th Century Gold Sets Up

Gold Design and Circulation Gold now up. Anyone besides High able to complete this one? image

Be a while before I can even fathom completing that set. But, according to BJ, the more sets registered, the more likely that PCGS will offer a FULL 20th Century set with Gold coins included with the non-gold.

Keith
Keith ™

Comments

• Options
    I have the majority of them in Grades 62 through 65. I would like the High Relief but I have not desire to own anything as obscure as a "rolled edge" or "wire edge." How these "varieties' get classified as types is beyond me.
  • Options
    Coyncollector,

If you throw out the three REAL expensive pieces, I have 100% of them, grading 62 to 65 as well. As far as the two $10 Indian varieties, not sure what the logic was on them. They were distributed to collectors, but never really put into circulation if my understanding is correct.

Keith
    Keith ™

• Options
    F...orget em, let's start our own registry!!!
  • Options
    My gold design is all set. OH BJ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    boiler78boiler78 Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coynclecter
    I agree with you re: the rolled edge and wire edge eagles. I always considered those coins to be patterns. They should not be included in a circulation set.
  • Options
    OK it's agreed. We won't register the two eagles in the 20'th Century circulated gold set image I guess that still leaves the HR Saint...
  • Options
    Carl,

We'll let you register a HR Saint and let us know how it feels. image

Keith
    Keith ™

• Options
    I hope you can wait a while Keith. It is on my list, but behind a few dozen other coins image I just love the way it looks. I just can't stand the price. LOL
  • Options
    Now wait a minute!!

I just ordered a rolled and a wire edge, my local dealer had a couple of each in stock so I bought the 66's. Now you want to remove them?? Ok, Fine I'll just give them to the kids to play with!image
  • Options
    YOu can just send them to me. That's $20 plus shipping right? image

Keith
    Keith ™

• Options
    sorry, my kid dropped it and it "rolled" down the driveway. I threw the other one away when my girl cut herself on the "wire" edge.

Hey, just check on the bidboards, they're always up there.
  • Options
    And Bill Walser ups the ante and registers the first Wire Edge and High Relief coins. Guess those are going to have to count after all. image

Keith
    Keith ™

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like y'all, I have pretty much all of 'em, I reckon. MS62 to 64, mostly 62. Oh- I forgot- my $10 Lib crossed (unjustly) as an MS61. I have to agree with the comments about the "rolled" and "wire" edge pieces. Yawn.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    I tried to get them to leave out the rolled and wire edge Indians. The rolled edge is too expensive in any grade. I think only Swan and HD currently have one.
    Bill

My Other Hobby
  • Options
    As unpleasant as the thought may be, as far as the checkbook is concerned, the three St. Gaudens designs are generally accepted as type coins. If any of the three was to be considered marginal, it would be the 1907 wire edge eagle. It was a "test" of the accepted new design, but the wire edge caused production problems and only 500 (approx) were coined.
    The rolled edge 1907 eagle, the "tough" type due to the low pop of 42 total known coins, had an improved edge for production purposes, but was nevertheless melted after a mintage of approximately 31,500 coins. This coin was meant for commerce, but was abandoned in favor of Barber's design, the third design change of the 1907 eagle.
    The St Gauden's 1907 high relief double eagle suffered the same fate as the two eagles previously mentioned. When St Gaudens died in 1907, his beautiful high relief twenty was dropped by Barber in favor of his, more practical, less attractive copy of St Gauden's design. See Breen's Encyclopedia of U.S. Coins for the full story.
    Only the wire edge can be arguable, as to whether it is a type coin or not. Plus, these are three of the best designs, IMHO, of any U.S. coins.
    JSwan / Swan Family Type Collection