Home Testing Forum
Options

12 Caesars draft

lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

I. JULIUS CAESAR (49-44 BC): Gaius Julius Caesar, born July 13, 100 BC. Ruled October 49 BC to March 15, 44 BC. Assassinated March 15, 44 BC.

Silver denarius by moneyer C. Cossutius Maridianus, struck ca. Feb-March, 44 B.C. Obverse- wreathed and veiled head of Caesar right, DICT IN PERPETVO behind, CAESAR before. Reverse- Venus left, holding Victory and resting elbow on shield on globe. NGC certified VG (Strike: 3/5, Surfaces 2/5). RIC-10, Syd-1068, Crawford-480/16. 19 mm, 3.17 g. Ex-Imperial Coins & Artifacts, 1/15/2011.

Coins of Julius Caesar are rare and sought after, particularly those struck during his lifetime, with his portrait. This coin was struck just prior to his assassination, between February and March of 44 BC. I chose this type for its rarity and historical significance, though I could have bought a nicer looking posthumous issue for less.

~ Picture 1 (Pre-slab) ~ Picture 2 (Slab) ~ Wildwinds page (RIC-10) ~ Wikipedia page (Julius Caesar) ~

II. AUGUSTUS (37 BC-14 AD): Born Gaius Octavianus Thurinus, 23 September 63 BC. He took the name Gaius Julius Caesar Octavianus after being posthumously adopted in the will of Julius Caesar in 44 BC, and was granted the title "Augustus" in 27 BC. (He is generally referred to as "Octavian" before assuming imperial power, and "Augustus" afterward.) He died at the age of 75 on August 19th, 14 AD, after one of the longest reigns in Roman Imperial history.

WANTED in bronze or silver; any type with a decent portrait. I particularly like the reverse types that feature capricorn(s).

Augustus was represented in my previous collection by this bronze as.

~ Wikipedia page (Augustus) ~

III. TIBERIUS (14-37 AD): Tiberius Julius Caesar Augustus, born Tiberius Claudius Nero on November 16, 42 BC, stepson and son-in-law of Augustus, reigned September 18, 14 AD–March 16, 37 AD. Died March 16, 37 AD at the age of 77.

Silver denarius struck ca. 16-37 AD, Lugdunum mint. Obverse- TI CAESAR DIVI AVG F AVGVST, laureate head right. Reverse- PONTIF MAXIM, Livia, as Pax, seated right on throne with ornate legs, single line below, holding long scepter & olive branch. NGC certified Choice Fine (Strike 4/5, Surface 3/5). RIC-30, RSC-16a, SR-1763. 17 mm, 3.8 g. Ex-Michael Swoveland (WNC Coins), 1/11/2011.

This type of Tiberius denarius is commonly referred to as the "Tribute Penny", from a parable in the Bible (Matthew 22:21).

~ Picture 1 (Pre-slab) ~ Picture 2 (Slab) ~ Wildwinds page (RIC-30) ~Wikipedia page (Tiberius) ~ Wikipedia page (Tribute penny) ~

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.