Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Some Sets "Getting Mighty Crowded"...

But the more the merrier! After taking a look at set participation through the 60's and 70's, a few observations.
Think LSD. The 75' and the 72' sets lead with the most participants; 32 and 31 respectively.
Seems the sweet spot falls between 1967 and 1975 with 7 of those sets hosting 20+ participants.
For those of you looking to go where others currently ain't, try 1962 (6), 1966 (8), or 1960, 1977, or 1979 with 10,10,9 respectively. I guess "wood grain" has fallen out of favor with the maddening crowd.
I am sure the registry special has had an impact on the 70's set listings. PSA knows this and I suspect future specials may help level the playing field.

Do you think it is age demographics, set appeal, or the appeal of comradery with others that ties the new set builders to particular sets?

What will be the first set to achieve 100 members?

Still havent received my 1972 Logo Fleece promoted with my membership :-)
RayB69Topps
Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!

Comments

• Options
    thegemmintmanthegemmintman Posts: 3,101 ✭✭
    I don't think anyone should underestimate the thrill of the chase to be one of the FAB FIVE image.
  • Options
    mcastaldimcastaldi Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    Ray> Also. . .there are only 10 sets for 1959T (from All-Time Finest list). This is one of the reasons I chose it for my 50s set.

Mike
    So full of action, my name should be a verb.
  • Options
    I think people want to go where the action is......humans have a desire to "belong".....so that's why all the boom in the 72's and 75's......the elite are there....so people just naturally want to be a part of that. I have to admit....the 72 set is calling me......but the compitition makes me think twice.....I'll stick to my quite little neighborhood on 63 Topps Lane.
    1963 TOPPS~ SayitaintsoJoe's Fresh from the pack Screamers~ All pictured in living color

"There's no crying in baseball card set building."
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Depends on the set and who is collecting it. I think that for many of the 1950s era sets, there are many, many sets that are not listed.

Of the five major players I know with the 1955 Bowman baseball set, there is only one set listed. I also know at least one collector who has (multiple) 1950s eras sets that have to have grade weight of something ridiculous like 8.5
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    John,

The timing on the 72 set is probably not bad if you're smart about it. There have been a ton of cards graded under the Registry Special. If you waited for dealers to throw up 20/30/40 different cards at $9.99 apiece (some are starting at $8.00) I'm betting that you can pick up a bunch of the commons for under $10 right now. If you don't start competing for some of the tougher cards I think its a pretty good time to put together a nice, inexpensive foundation. And since this puppy is almost 900 cards - inexpensive is good...
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    I feel money also plays a role in the set chosen. Some sets cost more to build than others.
    Zach
  • Options
    Sayitain'tso

That's the reason I'll stick with the 71's. That's the set that separates the men from the boys.

THE FLOGGINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
  • Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    zacojam is right. The 1951 Bowman set is "Mighty Crowded" just by the bucks that Merkel and Branca bring to the table. I am left scrambling for the scraps.
  • Options
    True, Vargha ...

but all of us are rooting for YOU, not those guys!!!
  • Options
    Zardoz.....I agree....71's are definately the bad boyz......It scares me to even think they are out there to tempt me.
    1963 TOPPS~ SayitaintsoJoe's Fresh from the pack Screamers~ All pictured in living color

"There's no crying in baseball card set building."