Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Wrongbacks in the registry?

JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
Hello registry experts!

I recently came across a 1974 Harmon Killebrew card with Ralph Garr's stats on the back. Looks to me like Topps printed a bunch of different "wrongback" cards in 1974. Are any of these in master player sets? What are your opinions on inclusion?

One final question. I also noticed that 1965 O-PEE-CHEE A.L. Home Run and RBI leader cards are missing from the Killebrew master set, but are included in the Mantle set. How does one go about getting these cards added?

Happy collectingimage

Joe
2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set

Comments

• Options
    mariotownmariotown Posts: 508 ✭✭
    To my knowledge, PSA doesn't even grade wrongbacks.
    I collect PSA 10 Cal Ripken, Jr. cards.
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Joe - log in to that set, and use the Report a Cert that Should Match This Composite feature. The cards will be added, though it may take up to a couple months.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    Thanks for the help guys!

Joe
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭
    Larry Doby Master set has a wrong back.
    Not that I agree with it, just sayin.

Doby Master set composition
    "The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    For some bizarre reason, the T207 Master set also has two wrongbacks listed in its composition.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    CollectorAtWorkCollectorAtWork Posts: 859 ✭✭✭
    The 33 Goudey has a wrong back card for one of the Ruth's that you can use instead of the regular back.
  • Options
    mariotownmariotown Posts: 508 ✭✭
    So, does that mean if you send them a wrongback they will actually grade it? I never thought this was the case.
    I collect PSA 10 Cal Ripken, Jr. cards.
  • Options
    Very interesting. This is about what I expected. I started my set before PSA came into the picture. Came up with a lot of unusual Killebrew related items and never got them graded.

With the help of one of the members here (thanks Rick), I am selling my extras and submitting the some of my raw cards. Right away I found 16 raw items "missing" from the Master Set, which led to this post.

Because the items I have are raw they cannot be added, and some might not even belong in the master set (are the 1968 Plaks even graded?). Gayle from Set Registry very promptly answered my questions.

While I am quite satisfied with PSA, it does seem that their process for handling these Master Sets (that must generate a LOT of revenue), is a little inefficient. Seems to be a lot of duplicated effort. When adding a multi-HOF-player card (e.g. 1965 O.P.C. #3 Home Run Leaders) to the Mantle set, why not just add it to the Killebrew and Powell sets and be done with it?

As far as wrongbacks are concerned, there should be consistency in the database, errors should be in or out. I would think PSA would want them in.........more cards to grade = mo money.

I am having a great time with the hobby and the Set Registry and will be improving my position in the next few months. Watch out up there!image

Thanks for all the responses guys!image

Joe"Banzai"
  • Options
    CollectorAtWorkCollectorAtWork Posts: 859 ✭✭✭
    IMHO, I don't think wrong back's should be a mandatory part of a Master set unless substantial numbers of them were issued. I think PSA should still slab them, but they should share a slot with the regular back card. For my Master sets, I put all of my variations under one slot. For example, for the 1935 Goudey, there are 4 back variations for most of the card, including Ruth, but they only have a single slot on the Ruth Master Set. I just use my highest graded card to fill the slot, and then put scans of the other variations under that same card, and put in the comments what the variations are (and in some cases, which variations, I'm still missing). So for the Ruth, I have the 3A, 5A, and IJ puzzle backs, but I'm still missing the 4A back. This is not quite the same as wrong back's, but I still consider wrong backs just another variation.
  • Options
    That sounds fair, I checked around and while unable to find any detailed information, there are quite a few 1974 wrongbacks floating around.

You could make a strong argument that since they were not intended to be issued like this, they don't belong in a player set, however they should be either in or out on a consistent basis. The 1974 cards don't seem to be a variation, more like an error. The Frank Thomas No Name on Front is in the Frank Thomas Master set, this would seem to be closer to the 1974 "error" than your 1935 Goudey's, as it affects several cards because of a problem in the printing process. I must say I don't have a good knowledge on the Goudey's except that they are out of my price rangeimage

In this case I have a Killebrew wrongback, so if it's included, I got it already, if not it goes in the pile of Killebrew oddities.

I would vote to put it in the Master set and not the Basic, but I don't think I get a voteimage

Joe
  • Options
    Mariotown, thanks for your input. PSA doesn't seem to have a strict policy on this. I have read other threads where certain cards get graded and sometimes the same card gets rejected.

I have seen eBay listings that state in the description "PSA doesn't grade theses anymore". Usually on some "oddball" item.

My suggestion is to send the card in, if they don't grade it you should get a voucher.

Joe