Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Did Topps forget to lock the back door again? 2007 Bowman Chrome Tim Lincecum auto'ed refractors w/

A few of these have shown up on Ebay in the past few months. Normal refractors are serial numbered on the back to 500. These ones have no serial number but DO have the Topps sticker on the back.

The auto's on these unnumbered ones just look kinda off to me.

I know that there are 2006 Bowman Chrome Gold Refractors w/o numbers on the market as well, and most say those were back-doored. This is the first I've seen of 2007 autographed cards.

Suspicious Lincecum auto's w/o numbers:

imageimage

Other Lincecum Auto's (assumed real, both are in PSA slabs)

imageimage
My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25

Comments

• hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    Well if both the 2 bottom autos are genuine, I'd say his sig would be very easy for forgers to copy
    They look nothing alike, and those two look nothing like the autos in the top pics
  • digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    Well, I guess it was just a matter of time...

fake auto with fake serial number stamp (wrong font, wrong positioning) on back. The sticker was probably lifted from a cheaper card.

link to item

I've already reported it. Feel free to do the same.

imageimage

• walkaround_38 = scammer

Had some backdoored 2009 Bowman Red 1/1 and stamped them.

FCB fake Bowman red 1/1
    imageimageimage
  • vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    wow, you would think going through that effort they would wipe and make a better effort on the signature.
    The dude also has some 2006 Bowman Chrome Gold Refractors with the fake stamp on the back. 2006 Gold REFs were backdoored without numbers, and it looks like this guy is (or is getting them from the guy who is) adding a stamp.

• digicat- Thanks for sharing the info.
    imageimageimage
    He also has some GAI cert cards with signatures that are no good.

<< <i>wow, you would think going through that effort they would wipe and make a better effort on the signature. >>

With the Lincecum, I kinda doubt that the forger and the fake-stamper are the same person. The fake Lincecum autos w/o numbers on the back have been in circulation for a few years now, and they all look like this. This is the first time that I've seen fake stamps though. I always suspected that it was just a matter of time though. I remember when Ebay was getting flooded with "after market 1/1" cards. Then again, maybe this is the guy who forged the sigs?

Stuff like this makes me worry: we see fake crap like this because it sticks out like a sore thumb. Is there more fake crap that doesn't stick out?

He has also sold a ton of 2007 Topps football rookie premiere auto's, were they not a hot topic a while ago? I wonder if there is a Topps connection, he lives in that area of the country.
  • Well done here...thanks for the nice investigative work. The devil is always in the details... Meatloaf
  • hes a example i found of the. if someone could link the ebay item number for me i would be greatful. im new here and am unsure how to do it.

ebay item number -- 140627836228

notice the diff. in the "5" and "0" on the TL card and this one.

Looking for 1950 Bowman football PSA 7's

<< <i>hes a example i found of the. if someone could link the ebay item number for me i would be greatful. im new here and am unsure how to do it. ebay item number -- 140627836228 notice the diff. in the "5" and "0" on the TL card and this one. >>

That one actually looks like a good example of how the stamped numbers on the back should look.

• i was wondering about the individual hologram sticker with the numbers also. can you pop that number in somewhere on topps site and verify anything?
    Looking for 1950 Bowman football PSA 7's

<< <i>i was wondering about the individual hologram sticker with the numbers also. can you pop that number in somewhere on topps site and verify anything? >>

That's a good question. I've never found a place on Topps' site where you could do lookups like that.

It'd be too much work to fake a hologram sticker, so they probably just pealed it off of some worthless auto and put it there. In-hand, the card will probably not look right, but by that time it'd be too late.

• TonyCTonyC Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Stuff like this makes me worry: we see fake crap like this because it sticks out like a sore thumb. Is there more fake crap that doesn't stick out? >>

Recently we had confirmation that there are relic cards with fake relics circulating.

Another shoe that could possibly drop someday: Athletes that have other people ghost-sign their cards/sticker sheets.
    Collecting Tony Conigliaro

<< <i>Another shoe that could possibly drop someday: Athletes that have other people ghost-sign their cards/sticker sheets. >>

I've seen stories on the internet by people who claim that they've witnessed pro athletes allowing friends and family to sign stacks of cards sent to them by card companies. Of course, the athletes' names are never given.

Of course, the card companies don't always get it right. Back in 2008, Topps packed out a high profile 1/1 Jackie Robinson/Obama cut auto card. Once it was pulled, Topps recalled the card and replaced the Obama auto with no explanation.