Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1939 * 1940 Phillips 66 Basketball Team

Hi All! This is my first post in this place so bare with me if am in the wrong area for this.

I have a little pamphlet thing, about ten pages stapled together. It's about 4 1/2" x 6".

The front cover says:

1939 * 1940

Phillips 66 Basketball Team

inside the first page are little quips about a couple of the Phillips 66 executives. Then there are a couple pages or so about different basketball players, then a score sheet in the center, then a couple more players infos.

Does anyone know if this is worth anything or just some worthless memento that my Dad tucked away?

Thanks

Comments

• image here is a photo i put on photobucket.
  • I am interested in purchasing this.

Please email me at

bwilson257@gmail.com

Turn your PM on so that I can make you an offer

Does anyone know this person

Barry
  • MooseDogMooseDog Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭
    I think what you have there is a program from an old amateur basketball league. The 66ers were an Oklahoma based squad probably sponsored by Phillips Petroleum. Here's a flashback article from TIME magazine detailing the state of basketball in 1940, if you look at the "Amateur" paragraph it looks like the 66ers won the national title that year.

TIME Article on Hoops in the 1940s
  • Up until about 1950 star college players made more money working for a company such
    as Phillips 66 in a ghost job, their primary job was to play basketball for the company.

Professional basketball was in its infancy, and college and AAU ball were bigger.

My old hometown of Peoria, Illinois had a team sponsored by Caterpillar tractor
    that was one of the best in the US.

George Mikan and the Minneapolis Lakers, and Russell and Cousy and the Celtics changed
    all that in the 1950's.

Is Hank Luisetti in that pamphlet?

• Thanks to MooseDog and Brock21 for the information. The players listed in the book are >> Raymond Ebling, Donald Lockard, Lloyd Tucker, Donald Shields, Joe Fortenberry, Frank Groves, Fred'k (sic)Troutwine "Fritz", Frederick Pralle, William Martin, Grady Lewis. ... i hope i got that right without typos in there. image