Home Sports Talk
Options

Clemens Mistrial

storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭

More tax money squandered.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.

Comments

• Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    I knew he did not do steroids, he has been vindicated.
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    <<<I knew he did not do steroids, he has been vindicated. >>>

Is there some sarcasm here that I'm missing?
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>More tax money squandered. >>

you can say that again.
  • Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭

<< <i><<<I knew he did not do steroids, he has been vindicated. >>>

Is there some sarcasm here that I'm missing? >>

Yup
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

you can say that again. >>

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not a Clemens supporter but the $cumbag that was testifying against him is a REAL piece of work.
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

you can say that again. >>

image >>

We can say that again. image
  • Options
    Our legal system is so F'd up beyond belief that it is not even funny. I wonder how much those attorneys got paid to introduce evidence that the judge specifically told them COULD NOT BE INTRODUCED.

The Texas Con Man walks again. What a joke.

From ESPN.com:

Almost as soon as it began, Clemens' perjury trial ended Thursday -- in a mistrial the judge blamed on prosecutors and said a "first-year law student" would have known to avoid.

U.S. District Judge Reggie Walton called a halt to the trial under way after prosecutors showed jurors evidence that he had ruled out -- videotaped revelations that a teammate had said he'd told his wife Clemens confessed to using a drug.

• Options
    SDavidSDavid Posts: 1,584 ✭✭

And time.

If Joe public had a fuller perspective about the kinds of cases the feds don't pursue--cases with real life victims who are sometimes left penniless--they'd better realize how utterly friggin' ridiculous this whole baseball charade has been.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,534 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hall of fame, here he comes! image

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    I guess I will be the one naysayer here. I have no idea if Roger Clemens used steroids or not. The great majority of the "proof" came from a guy that was questionable at best. Perhaps he was as much on the juice as Jose Canseco. But, if he IS innocent, I like the fact that he went on the attack and went out and defended himself. And if he IS innocent, I hope Roger never has to go through this again. I've read many threads here where some of you have accused others of you of doing dishonest things. I know if you accused me of something and I knew it was a lie, I would be shouting to the rooftops of my innocence. What if that is the case with Clemens?
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    <<<What if that is the case with Clemens? >>>

I would bet my life savings that Clemens used steroids.

I'm not sure why, but I'm sensing a lot sentiment similar to H2O's out there that somehow Clemens is clean just because some idiot lawyer blew (threw?) the case against him.
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭

<< <i>...I have no idea if Roger Clemens used steroids or not.... >>

In a sport absolutely riddled with drug users, with no drug testing permitted, you seriously think a guy can go 41-7 and have a 2.3 ERA while pitching for the Blue Jays in the AL East clean?

Clemens was as jacked as the next guy, but really that just made the playing field overall fairly level.

If Clemens goes to jail for lying to liars, it would be an injustice. I don't even like the guy.
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    As to what a fellow board member said.... The guy testifying against him is a real piece of work. This is why I can not take this seriously. McNamee is a scum. He's trying to convince everyone that he now wants to be an honest person. No positive tests and no credible people witnessing him take roids. Pettitte only said that he discussed it with him. Best friends and Andy never saw the stuff. There is a part of me that believes Clemens because of all the liars involved. Plus, he has never been wishy washy with what he has stood for.
  • Options
    georgebailey2georgebailey2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know who exactly decided that the question of steroid usage by baseball players met the threshhold of being important enough to warrant Congressional hearings?

And then, due to the nature of the fishing expedition being under oath, requires prosecutors to spend time and money determining whether any of these players lied about what they said?

Amazing.

My personal view of Clemens is that he took steriods. Not so much to enhance performance, such as throw harder, but to enhance his ability to recover quicker from injuries to keep himself on the field.
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    In a sport absolutely riddled with drug users, with no drug testing permitted, you seriously think a guy can go 41-7 and have a 2.3 ERA while pitching for the Blue Jays in the AL East clean?

Steve Carlton was 27-10 with a 1.97 ERA in 1972 with a Phillies team that won only 59 games total. Was he juiced? How do we know what Clemens was capable of? As I said, it is possible that he was the King of Steroids. But until I see some solid proof from someone other than a walking turd like Brian McNamee, I will have to give him the benefit of the doubt.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I understand the need to be honest when under oath. (Should be all the time.) But congress being upset with someone lying to them is like the Mafia being really upset with jaywalkers.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

<< <i>In a sport absolutely riddled with drug users, with no drug testing permitted, you seriously think a guy can go 41-7 and have a 2.3 ERA while pitching for the Blue Jays in the AL East clean?

Steve Carlton was 27-10 with a 1.97 ERA in 1972 with a Phillies team that won only 59 games total. Was he juiced? How do we know what Clemens was capable of? As I said, it is possible that he was the King of Steroids. But until I see some solid proof from someone other than a walking turd like Brian McNamee, I will have to give him the benefit of the doubt. >>

<<< Steve Carlton was 27-10 with a 1.97 ERA in 1972 with a Phillies team that won only 59 games total. Was he juiced? >>>

Carlton's workout regimen with his trainer was well documented and probably was the equivalent of a Navy Seal workout designed for a baseball pitcher.

The obvious answer to your question by fans who know Steve Carlton is "No"