Although there will be some good arguments for a LOT of others!!! image

Comments

• Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    1) Rudy
    2) Rocky series
    3) The Rookie (Dennis Quaid)
    4) Field of Dreams
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    Major League
    Remember the Titans
    The Rookie
    Field of Dreams
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For my Sports Movies Mount Rushmore, I prefer movies based on true stories...

Chariots of Fire

Pride of the Yankees

Brian's Song

Rudy

....tough leaving out Raging Bull...it was close. And of course the fictional movies, Rocky 1, The Natural, Field of Dreams, and some others are great movies as well.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Brian's Song
    >>

One of the few movies that always makes grown men cry.

I would replace Chariots of Fire (boring as hell) with "Miracle".
  • Options
    No love for Kazaam?
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Paper Lion" was very entertaining as well, not that it's a great movie for acting, but it was fun to watch.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    not in order

Glory Road
    Hoosier's
    Remember the Titans
    Radio

• Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    Rocky
    The Natural
    The Rookie
    Rudy
  • Options
    lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭
    Raging Bull
    Hoosiers
    Slapshot
    Bon Cop Bad Cap (the greatest and best French-English Canadian made - hockey based cop drama of all-time)

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How can anyone leave out the disaster epic "Two Minute Warning" about a football [the game footage spliced into the movie was of a USC - Stanford] game at the LA Colessium where a crazed guy with a sniper rifle statoned up in the metal famework holding the stadium lights starts shooting and killing people in the Stadium (David Jantzen was the first to die if I recall). The shooting caused a panick that resulted in a stampede of people from the stadium that caused more death and destruction.

"Oh The Humanity" of such a tragic story where our beloved football was interrupted by the evil mind of a crazed sniper. This movie tugs at heartstrings across the decades and puts "Brian's Song, Rudy, Hoosiers, Chariots Of Fire, Caddyshack, Tin cup, The Natrual, Field Of Dreams, Major League" squarely in second place or lower on the list of great sports movies.

The only other sports movie that can compare with Two Minute Warning is a similar movie set in a Hockey Arena where a sniper started shooting at hockey fans and players.
  • Options
    #1 Brians Song

#2 Miracle (USA hockey team)

#3 Field of Dreams

• Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    Pride of the Yankees
    Brian's Song (the original)
    It Happens Every Spring (with Ray Milland)
    Personal Best (with Mariel Hemingway)
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    Major League....being an Indians fan and the timing of when it came out (before the Indians were actually good), it has always been my favorite movie. On a serious note I always liked Brian's Song, which others have also mentioned.
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    forgot to mention, my favorite character in a film is still Crash Davis........loved the part Costner played in Bull Durham.....
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pride of the Yankees

Knute Rockne All American

The Pride of St Louis

Field of Dreams- in all fairness- a great film

The Natural- this was great

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Raging Bull- this needs no intro- just great for boxing

Fear Strikes Out- well done for when it was done and the issues involved

Follow the Sun- This is a great film about Ben Hogan starring Glen Ford- great film

There was a film about Grover Cleveland Alexander that if I recall correctly starred Ronald Reagan- just unable to remember the title- B film late 1940s

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine would probably be:

1) Miracle
    2) Mystery, Alaska
    3) Hoosiers
    4) We Are Marshall

Almost made the cut:
    - For Love of the Game
    - Eight Men Out
    - Happy Gilmore

Tabe
  • Options
    DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    Baseball - Pride of the Yankees, The Bad News Bears, Eight Men Out, and The Natural
    Football - Rudy, Brian's Song, Remember the Titans and Victory (Football outside the USA)
    "A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
  • Options
    please note, slapshot was considered "the best sports film of the past 50 years" by GQ magazine back in 07 and maxim said it is the "Best Guy Movie of All Time".

If its not on Rushmore I don t know what is.
  • Options
    jimmygjimmyg Posts: 139 ✭✭
    1. Field of Dreams- Saw it with my dad in the theater; best movie ever made
    2. Blue Skies Again- 80s baseball movie with Harry Hamlin about a girl who played pro ball. I watched the good parts of that movie every day for an entire summer (first of a triple feature I watched). I don't know another person, other than my siblings, who has even heard of that movie.
    3. Thrashin' - This was the second movie of our daily triple feature that summer. We watched it before going out and pulling off wicked tricks on our quarter-pipe (we could really just do weak fakies and faux power slides).
    4. Rad - The third movie that we watched. This one has it all. It's the Thrashin' storyline but about BMX bikes instead of skateboards... which makes it take on a whole new meaning.
  • Options

<< <i>please note, slapshot was considered "the best sports film of the past 50 years" by GQ magazine back in 07 and maxim said it is the "Best Guy Movie of All Time".

If its not on Rushmore I don t know what is. >>

I wouldn't even rate it as the best hockey movie. Or 2nd best. I just don't think it's that good, quite frankly.

Some others that I forget:

- White Men Can't Jump
    - Invincible

And about a million others image

I love sports movies, LOL.

Tabe
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    Please-no more references to Rudy. What a piece of crap. Nothing personal, but what was the big deal?
  • Options

<< <i>Please-no more references to Rudy. What a piece of crap. Nothing personal, but what was the big deal? >>

It's an uplifting and enjoyable movie. Is it great? Nah but it's pretty good and I can see why people would pick it. It's not in my top 10 or anything - but I'd put it ahead of "Slapshot"...

Tabe
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    Not "The Best", but my favorite:

Bull Durham
    The Blind Side
    Mystery, Alaska
    Tin Cup
  • Options
    My brother-in-law played for the Durham Bulls. I asked him about "Bull Durham". His response? "That movie was basically a documentary - except the groupies aren't as hot in real life", LOL.

Tabe
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>My brother-in-law played for the Durham Bulls. I asked him about "Bull Durham". His response? "That movie was basically a documentary - except the groupies aren't as hot in real life", LOL.

Tabe >>

neither are "puck bunnies"
  • Options
    72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭
    Caddyshack
    Field of Dreams
    Bad News Bears
    Rocky
    Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars
  • Options
    1. Cobb
    2. The Natural