Steve Carlton

Comments

• HallcoHallco Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Danny Tartabull
    David Bell
    Adam Eaton
    Mike Jackson

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,575 ✭✭✭✭✭
    boy oh boy, i'm really starting to dislike Braves fans.

image.....nice! But just so you know...I agree 110% with your assesment of the top 4 without even having a discussion!! image
    Interesting about Jackson, when he first came up with the Phils, he had the most amazing curveball I've ever seen before or since...and I thought this guy might eventually be a Hall of Famer. Well he had a half-decent career, but he fell way short of the Hall of Fame. LOL
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Steve, those are greats alright, but I could throw the whole starting lineup at ya of the 1976 Reds with Tom Seaver pitching. That was the best team ever. They beat the Red Sox in 7 the year before and sweep the Yankees in 76.

<< <i>image.....nice! But just so you know...I agree 110% with your assesment of the top 4 without even having a discussion!! image >>

Schmidt, Roberts and Carlton are rocks...but I think Chase Utley, or possibly Ryan Howard may have a chance to move Ashburn off the list...but they're not close to doing that yet...and they would, in my opinion, have to overwhelm Ashburn as a career player because Whitey's long, outstanding broadcast career with the Phils has to be factored into the Mount Rushmore equation.

<< <i>Steve, those are greats alright, but I could throw the whole starting lineup at ya of the 1976 Reds with Tom Seaver pitching. That was the best team ever. They beat the Red Sox in 7 the year before and sweep the Yankees in 76. >>

Can't argue with ya...that Reds team was an awesome team...and they loved to win.

But them being the best team ever? I think that's debatable, but for sure that Reds team is in the discussion.
  • Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭✭
    Give Schmidt and Carlton the mountain by themselves.
    On the Reds. How many "teams" had a whole lineup hitting 300 or better. With a 50 home run hitter and several other very good home run hitters. And the best defensive catcher ever, who also hit many home runs. And one of the best Short Stops ever. And on and on.

They were GREAT!!!!!!!

<< <i>On the Reds. How many "teams" had a whole lineup hitting 300 or better. With a 50 home run hitter and several other very good home run hitters. And the best defensive catcher ever, who also hit many home runs. And one of the best Short Stops ever. And on and on.

They were GREAT!!!!!!! >>

<<< And the best defensive catcher ever >>>

I hope Grote15 doesn't open this thread - you're gonna make him very, very angry with that comment. image
    Who does grote think is or was better than Bench??? Just curious.

<< <i>Who does grote think is or was better than Bench??? Just curious. >>

Well, let Johnny Bench say it...

“If Grote and I were on the same team, I would be playing third base."

• << <i>Give Schmidt and Carlton the mountain by themselves. >>

I agree, but keeping Ashburn off is not easy.
  • mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    Charlie Manuel
    Dale Murphy
    Jeff Parrett
    Phillie Phanatic
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
    I found this online, thought you might like it! image

• melvin289melvin289 Posts: 3,019
    Don't forget the ball girls. Now Philly does well on them. They do brighten up the foul areas.

Ron
    Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.

<< <i>I found this online, thought you might like it! image

image >>

Very nice. image

And it almost looks real. LOL
  • DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    Schmidt, Carlton, Klein, and Roberts.
    "A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).