Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Any Collectors Of Albanian Coins?

I find the designs very attractive and the prices rather modest. I am becoming tempted to collect some. Any advice or experiences?

Comments

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There have been some COTY winners from Albania, the one that comes to mind was the 1988 train coin that had old and new trains going into and out of a tunnel(hole in the coin). But that is not the only cool coin, they had some large silver coins minted in the 1960s with an early ruler, Skanderbeg on them that are rather attractive and large sized coins. So they do put out some fascinating coins and are a fairly overlooked country at least in N. America.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    questor54questor54 Posts: 1,351
    I especially like the classic designs from the 1920s and 1930s. Have just purchased a few on-line, so I guess I have taken the plunge. Sort of. Have also purchased some of the pre-war paper money.
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I concur, these are beautiful. I got an absolutely smoking pewter colored Prova 1926 (graded PCGS66)with the Athena head & have turned down offers of double what I paid even though purchased at a Heritage auction.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PS - Check Heritage archives for some pictures of beautiful coins. I think Stacks had some in the Chirico (sp?) auction from three years ago.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    questor54questor54 Posts: 1,351
    Thanks, that is a good tip. I managed to get a beautiful gilt bronze George III halfpenny from the Chirico (also not sure of spelling) coins. I had no interest in Albanian then. *sigh*
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Just got this on Tuesday (1970 25 Leke PR):

ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE