Home Sports Talk

Show Y'all Something OT

With the movie getting ready to open soon I just thought I'd post this picture. Bought this when I was wee young melvin289. I bought this comic new in August of 1960, I was 11 years old. This is the # 1 issue of the Silver Age Green Lantern.

All, or most of us here collect something. This is not sports related but thought it might be of interest.

Ron

Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.

Comments

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nobody has any problem with an occasional comic book thread.

Very cool - I know this wasn't your point, but I would have to think with the movie coming out, that this comic book would increase in value.

I don't recall the first issue of Green Lantern...but I do remember the first issue of Spiderman as a very young boy, seeing them on the shelf of my favorite local candy store in Fairfield, CT where I bought my baseball cards and candy, and of course they always had all the new comic books, and I picked up the first Spiderman comic book...there were dozens of them on the rack, and I did buy comic books as well and could have bought this one, but I thumbed thru it and thought what a stupid idea, some kid gets bit by a spider, etc, etc...I figured it wouldn't last. Keep in mind back then, it seemed almost every week there was a new superhero comic book of some sort coming out, and most of them didn't last. I mainly bought the Superman and Batman comics, and also enjoyed the WW2 hero type comic books, even bought an occasional Archie comic or other as a change of pace. but dam, I wish I had bought that Spiderman comic - worth thousands today...oh well...at least I saved my baseball cards. image
  • melvin289melvin289 Posts: 3,019
    I never got into the Marvel comics and collected mainly DC. My brother was into Marvel and somewhere there is a #1 issue of Fantastic Four. I was kind of hoping it had gotten mixed in with my books. They had been stored in my Parents attic and my brother got their house at their passing. He wouldn't give me my stuff back and a few years ago his son got the house and returned my belongings. But no luck on the Fantastic Four comic.

Ron
  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I never got into the Marvel comics and collected mainly DC. My brother was into Marvel and somewhere there is a #1 issue of Fantastic Four. I was kind of hoping it had gotten mixed in with my books. They had been stored in my Parents attic and my brother got their house at their passing. He wouldn't give me my stuff back and a few years ago his son got the house and returned my belongings. But no luck on the Fantastic Four comic.

Ron >>

I don't know much about comic book values, but ya see them on ebay all the time for cheap. Unless it's a first edition and in decent or pristine condition, they aren't worth all that much. I probably have around 200 of them and none are worth anything significant. A number I have I used to buy with the cover half ripped off for a much cheaper price, and they are basically worthless...but they gave me a lot of reading pleasure as a kid, and that was priceless. image
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Ron ... pretty kewl ... any idea on the value? I know NOTHING about comics.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • BrickBrick Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know much about comics but it seems your nephew is a fine young man.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

<< <i>Ron ... pretty kewl ... any idea on the value? I know NOTHING about comics. >>

I relly don't know the value either. The bottom fell out of comics about the same time sports cards tumbled. I would imagine between maybe $50 & $100 if that much and that's just a guess.

<< <i>I don't know much about comics but it seems your nephew is a fine young man. >>

Charlie is a nice guy. He's in his 40's now and his oldest daughter just graduated high school this year.

Ron