Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1990 Pro Set FB Box question?

Was wondering on the 1990 FB pro set wax boxes how can you tell which version came first etc. If i recall their was some with a gold trim on the bottom and some were all white. Thanks for an replies on the subject.image

Comments

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    JACKSONCOUPAGE is your guy to answer ALL THINGS Pro Set Football.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    epruyneepruyne Posts: 154 ✭✭
    "No gold borders represents the first printing run, gold borders represents the largest portion of the printing run, and the gold borders with Super Bowl XXV program ad the latest run in the printing"

• Options
    thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    Is there a specific card you're trying to pull?
  • Options

<< <i>"No gold borders represents the first printing run, gold borders represents the largest portion of the printing run, and the gold borders with Super Bowl XXV program ad the latest run in the printing" >>

I have personally debunked this recently. As it stands, it's a mixed bag with no absolutes regarding which box bottom produces what. I see far less white bottom boxes than gold border or super bowl ad ones.
    My Error & Variation Blog

Collecting Robin Ventura and Matt Luke.
  • Options

<< <i>"No gold borders represents the first printing run, gold borders represents the largest portion of the printing run, and the gold borders with Super Bowl XXV program ad the latest run in the printing" >>

I have personally debunked this recently. As it stands, it's a mixed bag with no absolutes regarding which box bottom produces what. I see far less white bottom boxes than gold border or super bowl ad ones.
    My Error & Variation Blog

Collecting Robin Ventura and Matt Luke.
  • Options
    giantsfan20giantsfan20 Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭✭

6 yr update does this above still true NO way to tell?

Thanks for any replies.

• Options
    junkwaxgemsjunkwaxgems Posts: 239 ✭✭✭

I haven't opened any series one in the last year or so but I think it still stands that the production outline goes:

1st run boxes: white box on bottom
    2nd run boxes (aka longest print run): gold borders around white box on bottom
    3rd run boxes: (aka final print run): super bowl ad on bottom

That said, I have opened tons of boxes (and a case each) of all three types and there is definitely cross over in terms of which variations you'll find...for MOST variations. Some are only found in early or late boxes. Many of the "common" (or 1-2 star rarity) variations are the most plentiful version and ran through first and second print runs, in some cases still turning up in the super bowl ad boxes. Conversely, there are late run corrections that have turned up in mid-run boxes as well.

fka jacksoncoupage, comc.com: junkwaxgems, ebay: junkwaxgems
  • Options
    ThoseBackPagesThoseBackPages Posts: 4,871 ✭✭

which boxes are easiest to pull the Lombardi Holo?

Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options

@ThoseBackPages said:
    which boxes are easiest to pull the Lombardi Holo?

None of them, it's a very difficult card to pull (probably more so today) and there wasn't/isn't any data tracking of the box types they were coming out of. There are many backdoored and "unnumbered" copies floating around out there now too.

• Options
    ThoseBackPagesThoseBackPages Posts: 4,871 ✭✭

ahhh ok! still have to rip from time to time!

Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options

@ThoseBackPages said:
    ahhh ok! still have to rip from time to time!

A lot of previously thought to be rare variations from Pro Set junk have turned out to be fairly plentiful or regularly available for sale. This is the list of Pro Set rarities as far as I can tell post-blogging and collector/seller awareness of the last 7-8 years or so:

1989 Pro Set FB McMahon, Byner and Riggs C and D versions (binder issue only)
    1989 Pro Set FB James Jefferson 'scouting photo' version (may not exist, shown in Pro Set book)

1990 Pro Set FB Lud Denny 338 (non pack issue)
    1990 Pro Set Paul Gruber 'missing most of name and position on back' version
    1990 Pro Set Steve Young 666 (non pack issue)
    1990 Pro Set Dexter Manley yellow/missing bio version (print error)
    1990 Pro Set Dexter Manley 'substance abuse' version

1990-91 Pro Set HK Shawn Burr missing text on back
    1990-91 Pro Set HK Chris Nilan, Chris Chelios, Phil Housley, Dale Hawerchuck 'No Trade Snipe'
    1990-91 Pro Set HK Jaromir Jagr 'red blotch' version (print error)

1991 Pro Set FB 12th National Prototypes (convention issue)
    1991 Pro Set FB Mike SIngletary 3D Acetate (unknown origin)
    1991 Pro Set FB Zorich, Ismail, A. WIlliams, D. Lewis 'gray stat box' versions
    1991 Pro Set FB Chuck Knox 'CYAN only NFLPA logo on back (team set issue only)
    1991 Pro Set FB Bo/Barry Show 335 with faint/missing registration mark on back
    1991 Pro Set FB Gelbaugh, Garrett, Wilkerson, Baker WLAF missing boxes around stats

1991 Pro Set WLAF UK Set Bobby McCallister

1991 Pro Set WLAF 150 Set Chamberlain/WIlkerson missing boxes around stats
    1991 Pro Set WLAF 150 Set Chamberlain/WIlkerson missing one box around stats